With the help of puff pastry, these pizza roll-ups come together in no time to create a buttery, savory, cheesy, irresistible appetizer.
I don't know if I have ever met a person who does not like pizza. While there are many options on how to enjoy pizza and debates on which crust is best, it seems pizza in one form or another is a universally loved food, making it the perfect option for a party!
Whether serving Pizza Bread, Ham and Cheese Stromboli, or these Pizza Roll-Ups, everyone will rave about your party appetizer. Especially if you pair them alongside Rotel Sausage Dip, Bacon Wrapped Dates, and Stuffed Mushrooms.
Reasons to Love Pizza Roll-Ups
- Irresistible Flavor. Buttery, savory, and cheesy, these simple pizza roll-ups are hard to resist!
- Incredibly Easy Appetizer Recipe. This simple appetizer takes about 5 minutes of prep work. Easy-peasy!
- Make-Ahead Friendly. This recipe can be assembled up to 24 hours in advance and baked immediately before serving, for a simple party appetizer.
- Delicious Warm or at Room Temperature. Pizza Roll-Ups can be served warm or left at room temperature for up to 2 hours, which is another reason they are great for parties.
- Party Perfect. As we have established pizza rolls are delicious, easy to make, and always a crowd-pleaser, making them perfect for entertaining or just enjoying a fun twist on pizza night.
Notes on Ingredients For Pizza Rolls
- Puff Pastry: I recommend using frozen and thawed or refrigerated puffy pastry. While you can replace the puff pastry with crescent rolls, the pizza rolls will not be as flaky or delicate as if made with puff pastry.
- Pizza Sauce: Use store-bought or homemade pizza sauce. You need enough to lightly spread on the rolls and for dipping.
- Shredded Cheese: Mozzarella, parmesan, or an Italian blend of shredded cheese is best for flavor.
- Infused Olive Oil: One way these pizza rolls stand out from others is that they are brushed with infused olive oil. It is simply olive oil combined with dried oregano and garlic powder and adds incredible flavor to the pizza rolls.
- Toppings: You can opt to keep your pizza rolls simple and simply prepare with cheese, or you can opt to add a thin layer of pepperoni, cooked and crumbled Italian sausage, olives, or sauteed peppers and onions.
∗ Tips for Making Pizza Roll-Ups ∗
The following tips are provided to help you achieve perfect results. You will find the detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Keep the toppings to a minimum! You don't want to add too many toppings or the pizza rolls will be hard to roll up. This is a case when less is better.
- Don't add raw veggies! Use caution when adding vegetables that have a lot of moisture, like raw peppers, tomatoes, or mushrooms. They will give off quite a bit of liquid and make the center of the puff pastry soggy. If you want to add mushrooms and/or peppers, saute them first and then pat them dry before adding them to the pizza roll-up. Avoid tomatoes.
- Chill before baking. After rolling the puff pastry into a log, you want to chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours, before slicing and baking the pizza rolls. Chilling the dough will keep the pastry light, and airy, and help the dough to slice easier into pinwheels.
- Brush the pizza roll-ups with infused olive oil. Not only does this help the puff pastry brown, but it adds an incredible amount of flavor.
- Serve with additional pizza sauce. Everyone loves a good dip and these pizza rolls pair beautifully with a side of marinara or pizza sauce.
Make-Ahead and Reheating Instructions
- Prepare up to 24 hours in advance: You can prepare the rolls up to slicing and baking up to 24 hours in advance. When ready to serve, slice into rolls and bake as directed.
- Store Leftovers: If you happen to have any leftover pizza rolls, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating Instructions: Reheat the chilled pizza rolls for 10-15 minutes in a 350-degree F oven.
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
- Taco Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Easy Pizza Meatloaf
- Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- English Muffin Pizzas
Whether looking for a simple snack or a loved party appetizer, these Pizza Rolls are easy to make and always a favorite! If you gave them a try, please leave a comment and review below.
Easy Pizza Roll-Ups with Puff Pastry
- 1 (13.25 oz) refrigerated or frozen puff pastry if frozen, thawed
- 2 cups pizza sauce divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- On a piece of parchment paper, unroll the puff pastry. Gently roll the dough to remove creases of puff pastry. The dough should be about ¼ inch thick and about 16 by 11 inches. Spread the dough lightly with a thin layer of pizza sauce, leaving a ½-inch border along the edges. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Add a THIN layer of other toppings if desired.
- Starting at the long (16-inch) edge, roll the puff pastry into a log. Once rolled into a log, tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake the pizza roll-ups, preheat the oven to 375℉.
- While the oven is preheating, combine the olive oil with garlic powder and oregano in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove puff pastry from the refrigerator and unwrap the plastic wrap. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife and cut into ½-inch pinwheels.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush the top of each pinwheel with infused oil (It is okay if there is extra--you may not need it all!) Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake until the puff pastry is light golden brown and the cheese is hot and bubbly, about 18 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with remaining marinara sauce.