Pizza Bread: Homemade Italian Bread is baked with marinara sauce and cheese and topped with garlic butter and pizza seasonings. This Pull Apart Pizza Bread is a fun, cheesy, kid-friendly meal!
Growing up, one recipe my entire family of 6 agreed up was what my mom referred to as Cut Bread.
Cut Bread was a recipe she had found in a newspaper but basically it was just bread dough stuffed with pizza toppings, then rolled up and cut into small chunks before being baking into what basically was a free form Pizza Monkey Bread.
Pull Apart Pizza Bread
This cheesy, gooey, garlicy pizza bread is the absolute perfect recipe for kids to help make in the kitchen.
As the original name, Cut Bread, implies, pull apart pizza bread is made by cutting up the pizza roll and scatter onto a baking sheet and bake.
It may sound odd to cut it all up before baking a pizza roll, but this is KEY.
This technique that you often see in Monkey Bread Recipes, allows for different textures. Super soft bread, crunchy cheese, gooey cheese, crisp bread. FABULOUS!!
How to Make Easy Pizza Bread
Step One: Bread Dough
For this pizza bread recipe, I really like to use a homemade french bread recipe. But you can start with any bread dough you like. It is important to use bread dough, not pizza dough for this recipe to get the rise you can only achieve with bread dough.
Italian Bread in Bread Maker
- Using your bread machine, put water, flour, and salt into your machine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the yeast.
- Set to dough setting on your bread machine and turn it on.
Italian Bread without Bread Maker
- Mix the yeast into the water until dissolved and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Stir the salt into the flour and then slowly add the water to the flour.
- Mix until combined and then knead about 5 minutes until dough is soft.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour
Step Two: Pizza Toppings
- Once your bread dough has risen, roll the dough out into a 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Spread the dough with 1/4 cup sauce, leaving 1/2 inch border around the edges.
- Top with cheese and any pizza toppings you desire.
Step Three: Form Pizza Bread
- Roll the dough up into a what looks like a loaf of bread, sealing the ends.
- Cut the bread “loaf” into 1 to 2 inch chunks (it will be messy!)
- Place pizza bread pieces unto a greased cookie sheet, in a random fashion, just do not stack more than 2 inches thick.
- Cover pizza bread with an kitchen towel and let rise for another 30 minutes.
Step Four: Bake Pizza Bread
- Right before baking, drizzle olive oil over top of pizza bread.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, dried oregano, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until bread is cooked through.
Step Five: Serve Pull Apart Pizza Bread
- Break of chunks of pizza bread and serve with a side of marinara for a final PERFECT touch.
- As you break into bread, pockets of cheese will be discovered, along with any other pizza toppings you added.
More Cheesy Pizza Creations
Pull Apart Pizza Bread Recipe
Pull Apart Pizza Bread
Homemade Pull Apart Pizza Bread is like a Pizza Version of Monkey Bread. Made with bread dough, and pizza toppings, pizza bread is a loved family meal!
Italian Bread Dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1-2 cups Marinara sauce divided
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
- favorite toppings for pizza pepperoni, peppers, onions, sausage, spinach, tomatoes, etc
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
For Bread Dough
With Bread Machine: Place water, flour, and salt into your machine. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the yeast. Set to dough setting and let it go.
Bread Dough By Hand: Mix the yeast into the water until dissolved and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir the salt into the flour and then slowly add the water to the flour. Mix until combined and then knead about 5 minutes until dough is soft. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
For Pizza Bread
Roll the dough out into a 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle--or something of that nature.
Spread with 1/4 cup marinara sauce and then layer on the cheese and toppings.
Roll the dough up into a loaf, sealing the ends.
Cut pizza bread loaf into 1 inch cubes and pile them unto a greased cookie sheet--going no more than 2 inches thick.
Drizzle Pizza Bread with olive oil and sprinkle with the dried seasonings and Parmesan Cheese.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes until bread is cooked through and golden brown.
Serve with reserved sauce.