These hearty Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes are perfect for a meatless meal your whole family will enjoy! Lentils are slowly simmered with stock, tomatoes, and spices to create a Vegetarian Sloppy Joe that is even a winner with die-hard meat-eaters.
When I told my husband Vegan Sloppy Joes were on the Menu, he was not excited.
He loves my traditional Sloppy Joe recipe, but he was a bit hesitant to try out a Vegetarian Sloppy Joe.
Friends, he ate 3!!! That is what we call success at our house!
These Vegetarian Sloppy Joes start with a base of lentils. Lentils work as a great plant-based substitute for meat, as they mimic a ground beef texture, have a decent amount of protein, and are quite filling.
When simmered with tomato sauce, vegetable broth, and the right blend of seasonings, lentils create a vegan-friendly sloppy joe that is rich, hearty, and a bit tangy.
This is a simple, plant-based dinner that is affordable, filling, and delicious!
How to Make Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Mix together all ingredients in a large slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Stove Top Lentil Sloppy Joes
If you would like to make lentil sloppy joes on the stove, it is best to cook the lentil first, according to package directions to assure that the lentils are cooked through as they don't soften as well on the stove when using tomato products.
Stove Top Lentils:
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and peppers in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add in lentils and 3 cups vegetable stock or water.
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add in remaining ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for 10-15 minutes for flavors to develop.
Notes on Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Serve these Vegetarian Sloppy Joes on whole wheat buns, gluten-free buns, or over a baked sweet potato or potato.
- Feel free to top these sloppy joes with cheese if you are not vegan.
- Green and brown lentils are best for these Vegetarian Sloppy Joes, as they retain more texture and chew.
More Vegan Main Courses
Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup dried lentils green or brown
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Buns for serving
- Stir all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Set to cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Stir and serve on buns or as desired.
- If you need these Vegan Sloppy Joes to be gluten-free, serve over baked potatoes or use gluten-free buns.
- For a zing of flavor, add use ½ cup beer and 1 ½ cups of stock, instead of 2 cups of stock.