These Cornbread Muffins are an easy, from-scratch recipe for whole grain cornbread muffins that are naturally sweetened with honey and bursting with sharp cheddar cheese.
Back when my husband and I first got married, his parents would come to visit and take us out to dinner at a restaurant close to our house. They always chose the same restaurant–which honestly, the food was sub-par at best. Thankfully, they did have incredible Corn Muffins.
To this day, my husband I joke about how horrible the rest of the food was, considering how incredible their cornbread muffins and soup were. And yet, we still crave those delicious cornbread muffins when we are eating a warm bowl of soup.
The perfect cornbread muffins are tender, full of earthy corn flavor, buttery, and slightly sweet. The crumb on a corn muffin needs to be large, yet the muffin should not crumble in your hands.
Friends, I have created the PERFECT Cornbread Muffin.
These cornbread muffins are everything you want in a corn muffin, plus they happen to be made with whole grains.
How to Make Cornbread Muffins
Step One: Mix together Dry Ingredients
- The muffins start with a mixture of whole wheat flour and whole grain cornmeal–a perfect blend of whole grains.
- Mix together flour, corn meal, salt, and baking powder
Step Two: Mix together Wet Ingredients
- Melt butter and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, honey and melted butter together.
Step Three: Combine Cornbread Batter
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Mix together until JUST combined.
- Do not over mix–this will help keep these Cornbread Muffins tender and light.
Step Four: Add Cheese (optional)
- Mix in shredded cheese into the cornbread batter.
- Adding cheese to cornbread muffins is optional.
Step Five: Bake Cornbread Muffins
- Prepare muffin tin liner by greasing well or lining with muffin liners.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into each muffin tin.
- Bake at 400 degrees until corn muffins puff up and a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Notes on Homemade Cornbread:
- Cheesy Cornbread freezes great.
- Place leftover muffins on cookie sheet and freeze until solid.
- Pop each muffin into a bag and freeze until solid.
- Pull out of freezer and microwave 1 or 2 cheesy cornbread muffins to serve with soup or chili.
- Instead of muffins, you can make skillet cornbread.
- Pour cornbread batter into a greased 6-inch cast iron skillet .
- Bake until set, about 23-26 minutes at 425 degrees.
- You can use any milk you like for this Cornbread recipe.
- Feel free to use canola oil in place of melted butter.
- To keep these Cornbread Muffins, dairy-free, omit cheese, use almond milk and instead of butter, use canola oil.
Serve Cornbread Muffins with
- Instant Pot Chili
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Vegetarian Chili
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Southwest Turkey Soup
Cornbread Muffin Recipe
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk see note
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing or lining with muffin cups or use a silicone muffin pan.
- Mix together flour, corn meal, salt, and baking powder in large mixing bowl.
- In small mixing bowl, combine milk, honey, egg, and butter. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in cheese and stir lightly.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until set.
TO MAKE WHOLE WHEAT CORNBREAD MUFFINS YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.