Cornbread Muffins are an easy, from-scratch recipe that are tender, soft, and delicious. Naturally sweetened with honey and bursting with sharp cheddar cheese, these corn bread muffins are a perfect side dish to a soup or a great snack with slathered in jam.
The perfect cornbread muffins are tender, full of earthy corn flavor, buttery, and slightly sweet. The crumb on a corn muffin needs to be large, yet the muffin should not crumble in your hands.
Friends, I have created the PERFECT Cornbread Muffin.
These cornbread muffins are everything you want in a corn muffin, plus they happen to be made with whole grains.
How to Make Cornbread Muffins
Step One: Mix together Dry Ingredients
- The muffins start with a mixture of whole wheat flour and whole grain cornmeal–a perfect blend of whole grains.
- Mix together flour, corn meal, salt, and baking powder
Step Two: Mix together Wet Ingredients
- Melt butter and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, honey and melted butter together.
Step Three: Combine Cornbread Batter
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Mix together until JUST combined.
- Do not over mix–this will help keep these Cornbread Muffins tender and light.
Step Four: Add Cheese (optional)
You can certainly omit adding the cheese to these muffins. I love the pop of flavor it adds, but it is completely unnecessary.
- Mix in shredded cheese into the cornbread batter.
Step Five: Bake Cornbread Muffins
- Prepare muffin tin liner by greasing well or lining with muffin liners.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into each muffin tin.
- Bake at 400 degrees until corn muffins puff up and a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve Cornbread Muffins with
- Instant Pot Chili
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Vegetarian Chili
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Southwest Turkey Soup
- 3/4 cup whole white wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk see note
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing or lining with muffin cups or use silicone muffin liner
- Mix together flour, corn meal, salt, and baking powder in large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, honey, egg, and butter. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in cheese and stir lightly.
- Scoop muffin batter by 1/4 cup into prepared pan and bake for 15-18 minutes or until set.
- Cool muffins in pan for 10 minutes then remove from muffin pan and serve or cool completely.
- If you do not have buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to 3/4 cup milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Use whole white wheat flour or all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- Be sure to use cornmeal not masa flour for corn bread muffins.
- Feel free to use canola oil in place of melted butter.
- To keep these Cornbread Muffins, dairy-free, omit cheese, use almond milk and instead of butter, use canola oil.
- Store leftover muffins at room temperature in sealed container for up to 48 hours, then refrigerate for up to 5 days. Freeze muffins for up to 3 months.