Watermelon Sangria is a refreshing summer cocktail made with fresh watermelon, lime juice, and white wine! This Summer Sangria recipe is perfect to entertain with!
This Watermelon Sangria is the perfect addition to you your Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day celebration. Paired with Burgers, Ranch Potato Salad, Watermelon Arugula Salad, and Blueberry Pie Bars, you have the making for a delicious, patriotic celebration.
Watermelon Sangria is a delicious summer cocktail made with fresh watermelon juice, fresh lime juice, and dry white wine. It is refreshing, crisp, light, and bursting with watermelon flavor.
This sangria recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover watermelon or the perfect way to cool down on a hot summer day!
Paired with some watermelon stars and fresh blueberries, and this summer sangria makes the perfect drink for your patriotic celebrations!
- Watermelon: Fresh, juicy, ripe watermelon is best for making watermelon sangrias. Be sure to not use watermelon that is pale in color and lacks sweetness.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice adds tartness and brightness to this sangria. Be sure to use FRESHLY squeezed juice instead of bottled lime juice.
- White Wine: Select a dry white wine, like Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio for this sangria.
- Triple Sec: The citrus flavors of triple sec add a nice dimension and flavor to the sangria.
- Seltzer water: To keep the sangria bubbly and light, finish off the cocktails with seltzer water.
How to Make Watermelon Sangria
Step One: Prepare Watermelon Juice
- Cut up watermelon into cubes, leaving some larger slices of watermelon intact for cutting out watermelon stars. Need help cutting a watermelon, check out this tutorial on how to cube a watermelon.
- Place the cubed watermelon into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the watermelon juice over a fine mesh strainer. This is a VERY necessary step, or your sangria may have chunks or pulp which is very unappetizing.
Step Two: Prepare Sangria
- To a large pitcher, add fresh watermelon juice, lime juice, triple sec, and white wine.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Step Three: Serve
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Stir watermelon mixture and then fill the glass 2/3rds of the way full with the mixture.
- Top off with chilled seltzer water.
- If desired, prepare watermelon stars by simply using a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out stars from watermelon slices.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and watermelon star cutouts if desired.
More Fun Fruity Drink Recipes
- 7 cups fresh watermelon diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1/4 cup triple sec optional
- 1 liter plain seltzer water optional
- 1 pint blueberries optional
- Blend 7 cups of watermelon until smooth. Strain through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds or pulp, reserving the juice.
- Add fresh watermelon juice, lime juice, triple sec and white wine to large pitcher. Stir to incorporate.
- Chill for 2-4 hours.
- Before serving, stir again. Fill a glass with ice. Pour in the watermelon mixture until the glass is 2/3rds of the way full. Top off the glass with chilled seltzer water.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and watermelon stars if desired.
- Use a dry white wine like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, or Dry Riesling
- Best to serve after 2-4 hours of refrigeration.
- Watermelon Sangria will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
- The seltzer water adds a nice effervescence to this Sangria, but feel to omit.
- Triple sec adds incredible depth of flavor but can be omitted in a pinch.