This Healthy Zucchini Bread is made with fresh zucchini, whole wheat flour, and features a surprise ingredient that keeps this quick bread moist and full of flavor--pineapple! This Pineapple Zucchini bread has been naturally sweetened and lightened up with applesauce, but lacks nothing in flavor!
Healthy Zucchini Bread
I know a lot of people say their recipe for zucchini bread is best, but my mom's Pineapple Zucchini bread truly is the best!
She combined zucchini with crushed pineapple for a loaf that was both sweet and incredibly moist--zucchini bread is so much better with the addition of pineapple.
Why is this Zucchini Bread Healthier?
- With the addition of pineapple and applesauce, we can use less oil and sugar.
- Refined sugars have been replaced with honey--feel free to use maple syrup in place of honey.
- Whole wheat flour is used instead of all-purpose flour, which adds fibers and a serving of whole grains.
- This zucchini bread is dairy-free as well. Which does not necessarily make it healthier, but is great for those with food allergies.
- This bread is FULL of zucchini--and it is a tasty way to enjoy some veggies!
How to Make Zucchini Bread
Step One: Prepare Zucchini
- Grate 1 medium-large zucchini, to yield 2 cups shredded zucchini. You can use a handheld grater or a food processor.
- Place shredded zucchini in cheesecloth or clean kitchen towel and wring out any excess moisture.
Step Two: Baking Dish
- Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with butter, canola oil, or coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step Three: Mix together Dry Ingredients
- Over a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. If you want to skip sifting, just be sure to whisk well to break up lumps and fully incorporate ingredients.
- Mix to combine.
Step Four: Mix together the wet ingredients
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, honey, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
Step Five: Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients gently until just combined.
- Drain a can of crushed pineapple, reserving the pineapple juice to use in other recipes, like Instant Pot Chicken Breasts.
- Fold in the zucchini and pineapple--do not over mix as this will cause your bread to become rough.
- Pour the zucchini bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Step Six: Bake the Zucchini Bread
- Bake until zucchini bread is no longer wobbly, or when a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out dry--about 55-60 minutes.
Step Seven: Allow Zucchini Bread to Cool
- Once zucchini bread has been baked, remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Let zucchini bread sit in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove zucchini bread from loaf pan and allow it to finish cooling completely on a cooling rack.
How to Store Zucchini Bread
Whole wheat zucchini bread is very moist, therefore it can grow mold quickly if left at room temperature more than one day.
I recommend allowing your zucchini bread to cool completely, and then storing zucchini bread in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
To Freeze Zucchini Bread:
- Allow Zucchini Bread to cool completely.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil or place in a freezer-safe bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost bread for 12 hours in the refrigerator and then use it within 5 days.
More Quick Bread Recipes
Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 1 ¾ cups whole white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup canola oil or melted and cooled butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini drained of excess moisture
- ½ cup crushed pineapple drained well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Grate the zucchini and then place into a kitchen towel or cheesecloth to ring out any excess moisture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together eggs, honey, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and pineapple.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The time varies, depending on your oven.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.
- Store in the cooled bread in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.