Buffalo Chicken Salad with Oven Baked Fries: Baked chicken strips that have been seasoned with buffalo seasoning are tossed into a salad topped with oven baked fries.
Who puts french fries on their salad?
That would be me, a self-proclaimed healthy eater. And it is my favorite salad EVER!
How is this considered a “Healthy Recipe?” Putting fries on a salad seems to negate all healthy aspects that a salad can offer.
Nope, do not be fooled. You can top your salad with french fries and maintain your healthy lifestyle. Oh, and have a new favorite salad! This baby is insane!
The Back Story:
In college, I ate out. A LOT! Not because I didn’t like to cook or didn’t have the time, but because it is what drove a large portion of my social life. I was constantly grabbing a bite to eat with a friend or two.
One of my most favorite restaurants close to my campus was a small pub, and it was not because of the beer!
It was because it has a salad with grilled chicken, homemade ranch, and get this….a large serving of crispy deep-fried fries piled high on top. It was insanely good. But I am sure was not the wisest of choices health wise–especially considering how often I devoured this salad.
Healthifying My Favorite Salad
And a salad that gets my kids STOKED to eat their veggies–come on, we are talking about fries on a salad!
Back to the salad.
- So, start with dark leafy greens. The darker the green, the more nutritious. I use a base of romaine and spinach typically.
- Accent the greens with diced cucumbers, shredded carrots, diced bell peppers and sliced tomatoes.
- Prepare lean grilled or oven roasted chicken breasts that are tossed in a bit of cayenne pepper sauce. (AKA Red Hot)
- Cool the spice of the meat with a homemade ranch dressing made with a Greek yogurt base.
- And finish the salad with oven baked fries.
And there you have it. Vegetables, lean protein, and flavor without the greasy fat of fried chicken, fried fires, or super rich ranch dressing.
That is what you call a healthy and satisfying salad.
Buffalo Chicken Salad with Oven Baked Fries
- Oven Baked Fries
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Red Hot
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 head romaine lettuce washed and dried
- 2 oz baby spinach washed and dried
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 2 large carrots shredded (or diced)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes diced
- Homemade ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Make myEasy Oven Baked Fries.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with the paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes. Alternatively, grill the chicken over medium-high for 8 minutes per side.
- When the chicken is done cooking, slice into 1/2 inch strips.
- Combine the honey and Red Hot and toss with the chicken.
- Toss the vegetables for the salad and plate the veggies.
- Top with the sliced chicken (drain off extra Red Hot liquid).
- Drizzle with homemade ranch dressing.
- Top with french fries.
So spice your salads up and wow your families by serving up this Buffalo Chicken Salad topped with Oven Baked Fries.