Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken is an easy way to make delicious shredded chicken that has been seasoned in a creamy, spicy buffalo sauce. This simple recipe for Pressure Cooker Buffalo Chicken makes a great base for sandwiches, wraps, party dips, tacos, or pizza!
I used to think chocolate was the key to anyone’s heart.
Sure chocolate does win a lot of people over. However, if there was a competition between chocolate and Buffalo Chicken, my money is on Buffalo Chicken being the front runner!
In fact, this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken recipe is my family’s #1 requested way for me to prepare chicken AND it is my friend’s #1 requested item for me to make for parties. Everyone just loves it–and I love how insanely easy it is to make!
Creamy, spicy, and full of flavor, not only is this Buffalo Chicken a flavor knock-out, it is one of the most versatile ways to prepare chicken breasts! With just a few affordable ingredients and about 30 minutes start to finish, you can make a large batch of Shredded Buffalo Chicken that is perfect for sandwiches, dips, wraps, tacos, pizzas, and more!
Not to mention this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken freezes great, meaning it is a perfect chicken recipe to use for meal prep!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts–Boneless, skinless thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts if desired. Pro-tip: Be sure that each chicken breast is about the same size–that way the chicken will cook evenly.
- Pineapple Juice–Pineapple juice is one of my favorite flavors to add to shredded chicken. It adds a touch of sweetness and helps to tenderize the meat. For this buffalo chicken recipe, it also is the perfect complement to the spiciness of the hot sauce. If you don’t have pineapple juice, chicken stock will work in its place.
- Hot Sauce–I prefer Frank’s Red Hot, but feel free to use your favorite cayenne pepper hot sauce.
- Seasonings–To add flavor to this shredded chicken, add in garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt.
- Cream Cheese–This is totally optional, but tames down the spiciness of the buffalo flavoring and makes a really creamy sauce. Omit if you need Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken in the Instant Pot
Step One: Pressure Cook the Chicken
- In the inner pot of an Instant Pot, mix together pineapple juice (or stock), hot sauce, garlic, onion powder, salt, and paprika.
- Nestle chicken in seasoned liquid.
- Close lid and turn vent to sealed.
- Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 6 minutes for thin chicken breasts (6 ounces each), 8 minutes for standard size chicken breasts (8 ounces each), and 10 minutes for large chicken breasts (10 ounces each).
- Allow to release naturally for at least 5 minutes, preferably 10 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure if needed.
Pro Tip: Set cream cheese out next to Instant Pot while the chicken cooks to soften.
Step Two: Add Cream Cheese
- Remove chicken from instant pot to a cutting board or large bowl.
- Add in chunked cream cheese and place lid back on Instant Pot. The cream cheese will slowly melt into the sauce from the residual heat, as you shred the cooked chicken.
Step Three: Shred the Chicken
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks, a stand mixer or a handheld mixer. Get the tutorial for how to shred chicken using a mixer here.
- Place the shredded chicken back into the inner pot of the instant pot and stir into the sauce.
- If the cream cheese is not fully melted at this point, turn the Instant Pot to Saute and heat through–watching closely as to not burn the chicken.
If you have leftover buffalo chicken, be sure to refrigerate immediately. If storing past 3 days, allow the chicken to cool completely in the fridge and then freeze in 1-2 cup portions in air-tight containers/freezer bags to use for future meals. Defrost chicken in the fridge overnight before using.
How to Use Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- As the base for Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
- Inside tortilla shells for Buffalo Chicken Tacos or in cheese quesadillas for a spicy spin on a classic quesadilla.
- Instead of baked chicken, use this shredded buffalo meat on Buffalo Chicken Salad.
- Serve with creamy coleslaw on buns for Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches.
- Wrap up the Shredded Buffalo Chicken in a wrap with shredded carrots and ranch dressing for a simple wrap.
- Instead of using raw chicken in Buffalo Chicken Casserole, replace with leftover Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken and decrease cook time by 10 minutes.
- Take 2 cups of this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken and mix with 1/2 cup ranch dressing and 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and golden for a Buffalo Chicken Dip perfect for parties.
Spice up Instant Pot Shredded Chicken with this creamy, spicy, yet easy Buffalo Sauce–and then let me know in the comments what you used it for!
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken breasts or thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 cup pineapple juice or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened, and cubed
- Pour pineapple juice/stock into the inner pot of Instant Pot. Mix in hot sauce, garlic, salt, paprika, and onion powder.
- Place chicken in seasoned liquid and place lid on pressure cooker, being sure vent knob is sealed.
- Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 6 minutes for thin chicken breasts (6 ounces each), 7 minutes for standard size chicken breasts (8 ounces each), and 8 minutes for large chicken breasts (10 ounces each).
- If FROZEN, Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 10 minutes for thin chicken breasts (6 ounces each), 11 minutes for standard size chicken breasts (8 ounces each), and 8 minutes for large chicken breasts (12 ounces each).
- Allow to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release if needed.
- Remove chicken from liquid. And add in cream cheese to Instant Pot. Place lid on Instant Pot and let cream cheese warm through and melt into cooking liquid.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks, hand held kitchen mixer or stand mixer.
- Add chicken back to Instant Pot and mix into cooking liquid.
- Serve as desired.
- You can shred chicken right in your Instant Pot with hand held mixer if desired, just be wary of hot liquid splashing up onto you!
- For low fat Shredded Buffalo Chicken, omit the cream cheese or cut in half.
- Use the shredded chicken within 4 days or freeze up to 3 months for future use.
- Omit the Cream Cheese for Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken.
- See Instant Pot High Altitude Conversion if cooking 2500+ feet above sea level.