Made with seasoned shrimp and a fresh cilantro lime slaw, this recipe for Shrimp Tacos takes 15 minutes from start to finish, making this one flavorful, yet fast meal!
From Classic Beef Tacos to Fish Tacos to Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, you just can't get enough taco recipes, and truth be told, neither can I.
That is why I just know you are going to fall in love with these Shrimp Tacos. They are one of the easiest taco recipes to make, yet they lack NOTHING in flavor. The shrimp is perfectly spiced, the slaw is bright and fresh, and the combination is pure perfection.
Add in the fact that these shrimp tacos only require 5 minutes of cooking means that this will be one taco recipe you make on repeat!
Notes on Ingredients
- Shrimp: For this recipe, it is best to use shrimp that is peeled, deveined, and with tails removed. You can use fresh or frozen large or jumbo shrimp. Just be sure to defrost your shrimp fully before cooking.
- Seasoning: Use a combination of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cayenne pepper to give the shrimp layers of flavor.
- Fresh Limes: The zest and juice of fresh limes are used in this recipe. Both add flavor and brightness to the shrimp.
- Cilantro Lime Slaw: Made with shredded cabbage, lime juice, cilantro, and Greek yogurt, this creamy slaw pairs beautifully with the spicy shrimp. Feel free to use mayonnaise in place of the yogurt if desired.
- For Serving: Use homemade flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or your favorite store-bought tortillas for serving shrimp tacos. I also love adding sliced or mashed avocado and Sriracha to these tacos as well.
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
- Prepare the cilantro lime slaw by mixing together yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt together. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels so that the seasoning will really adhere to the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl with olive oil, the zest of the lime, and the spices and toss to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a bit of oil to the skillet and let heat for a minute.
- Add the shrimp to the heated skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes flipping once. You want to cook just until the shrimp is translucent, and the shrimp curls up into a c-shape. Do not overcook the shrimp, as overcooking will result in rubbery shrimp.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and immediately place the shrimp into a bowl to stop the cooking process.
- Toss the shrimp with the juice of a lime. This will make all the flavors pop in your mouth.
- To assemble shrimp tacos, place the prepared slaw on top of warmed tortillas and then top with the shrimp. Add sliced avocados, hot sauce, and additional cilantro as desired.
- Serve immediately for best results.
- Gluten-free Shrimp Tacos: Use corn tortillas or gluten-free tortillas for serving.
- Dairy-Free Shrimp Tacos: Instead of using Greek yogurt in the cilantro lime slaw, simply dress the cabbage with lime juice, salt, and cilantro.
- Don't like cilantro? Serve these tacos with classic coleslaw, or omit the cilantro from this recipe.
- Control the Heat: Feel free to increase, decrease, or omit the cayenne pepper to control the level of spice level of the shrimp.
- Homemade Guacamole: Delicious served on top of the tacos, or on the side with chips of course!
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice: The flavors in this rice are the perfect pairing to the cilantro lime slaw served on the tacos.
- Pineapple Mango Salsa: I absolutely love serving this fresh pineapple mango salsa with a side of chips. It pairs beautifully with both the shrimp and the slaw.
- Instant Pot Refried Beans: Nothing much better than a side of refried beans with tacos of any kind!
These Shrimp Tacos are light, bright, fresh, and easy to make! Please be sure to let me know in the comments how you enjoyed this recipe. I love to hear from you.
For the Shrimp
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lime zest and juice
For the Slaw
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro finely minced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded green or red cabbage
For the Tacos
- 6-8 small tortillas corn or flour
- 1 sliced avocado
- Hot sauce
For the Slaw
- Mix together the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt together. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.
For the Shrimp Tacos
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Place the shimp in a mixing bowl with ½ tablespoon olive oil, zest of the lime, and the spices and toss to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add in the seasoned shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes flipping once halfway through. You want to cook just until the shrimp is pink and curled. Overcooking will result in rubbery shrimp.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and toss with the juice of the lime.
- Heat the corn tortillas and then top with slaw, shrimp, sliced avocado, and a drizzle of hot sauce and minced cilantro. Serve immediately.
Delicious! I just made them, they were so good I’m going to have them again tomorrow!
I love hearing you enjoyed these tacos so much! Thanks for sharing!
I can do this! The flavors are delightful and the recipe is wonderfully easy! Love how easy this is! My kids love shrimp and are gaga over the shrimp tacos! Perfect dinner!
YAY! I love that I helped you discover an EASY meal your family enjoyed!
Oh my goodness! These tacos are mine and my daughter's favorite way to eat shrimp! We can't wait to make this recipe again soon! Such a game changer!
I love hearing this will become a regular at your house Beth! Thanks for sharing.
These turned out amazing, even better my local Taco truck. I'll be making again!
Now that is a compliment! Thank you so much!