Made with seasoned shrimp and a fresh cilantro lime slaw, these shrimp tacos make a fast and flavorful meal.
The entire recipe takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to make, making these Shrimp Tacos a perfect dinner for busy weeknights.
It has been proven that you, my precious readers, love tacos. From Classic Beef Tacos to Fish Tacos to Instant Pot Chicken Tacos--you just can't get enough taco recipes, and truth be told, neither can I.
That is why I just know you are going to fall head over heels in love with these Shrimp Tacos.
The shrimp is perfectly spiced, the slaw is bright and fresh, and the combination is pure deliciousness! Add in the fact that these shrimp tacos only require 5 minutes of cooking, this going to be one taco recipe you make on repeat!
Ingredients Needed for Shrimp Tacos
- Shrimp: For this recipe, it is best to use shrimp that is peeled, deveined, and with tails removed. You can use fresh or frozen large or jumbo shrimp. Just be sure to defrost your shrimp fully before cooking.
- Seasoning: Use a combination of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne pepper to give the shrimp layers of flavor.
- Fresh Limes: The zest and juice of fresh limes are used in this recipe. Both add flavor and brightness to the shrimp.
- Cilantro Lime Slaw: Made with shredded cabbage, lime juice, cilantro, and Greek yogurt, this creamy slaw pairs beautifully with the spicy shrimp. Feel free to use mayonnaise in place of the yogurt if desired.
- For Serving: Use homemade flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or your favorite store-bought tortillas for serving shrimp tacos. I also love adding sliced or mashed avocado and Sriracha to these tacos as well.
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
- Prepare the cilantro lime slaw by mixing together yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt together. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels so that the seasoning will really adhere to the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl with olive oil, the zest of the lime, and the spices and toss to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in a bit of oil to the skillet and let heat for a minute.
- Add the shrimp to the heated skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes flipping once. You want to cook just until the shrimp is translucent, and the shrimp curls up into a c-shape. Do not over cook the shrimp, as overcooking will result in rubbery shrimp.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat, place it into a clean bowl, and toss the shrimp with the juice of the lime.
- I have found the best way to assemble shrimp tacos is to place slaw on top of warmed tortillas and then top with the shrimp. Add sliced avocados, hot sauce, and additional cilantro as desired.
- Gluten-free Shrimp Tacos: Use corn tortillas or gluten-free tortillas for serving.
- Dairy-Free Shrimp Tacos: Instead of using Greek yogurt in the cilantro lime slaw, simply dress the cabbage with lime juice, salt, and cilantro.
- Don't like cilantro? Serve these tacos with classic coleslaw, or omit the cilantro from this recipe.
- Control the Heat: Feel free to increase, decrease, or omit the cayenne pepper to control the level of spice level of the shrimp.
While shrimp is always best in taste and texture the day it is prepared, it can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve leftover shrimp cold, as reheated shrimp tends to dry out.
The slaw can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days as well.
What to Serve With Shrimp Tacos
- Homemade Guacamole: Delicious served on top of the tacos, or on the side with chips of course!
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice: The flavors in this rice are the perfect pairing to the cilantro lime slaw served on the tacos.
- Pineapple Mango Salsa: I absolutely love serving this fresh pineapple mango salsa with a side of chips. It pairs beautifully with both the shrimp and the slaw.
- Instant Pot Refried Beans: Nothing much better than a side of refried beans with tacos of any kind!
These Shrimp Tacos are light, bright, fresh, and easy to make! Please be sure to let me know in the comments how you enjoyed this recipe. I love to hear from you.
For the Shrimp
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lime zest and juice
For the Slaw
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro finely minced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded green or red cabbage
For the Tacos
- 6-8 small tortillas corn or flour
- 1 sliced avocado
- Hot sauce
For the Slaw
- Mix together the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt together. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.
For the Shrimp Tacos
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Place the shimp in a mixing bowl with ½ tablespoon olive oil, zest of the lime, and the spices and toss to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add in the seasoned shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes flipping once halfway through. You want to cook just until the shrimp is pink and curled. Overcooking will result in rubbery shrimp.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and toss with the juice of the lime.
- Heat the corn tortillas and then top with slaw, shrimp, sliced avocado, and a drizzle of hot sauce and minced cilantro. Serve immediately.