This Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie is a naturally sweetened, nutritious smoothie that is full of protein, healthy fats, and fiber, yet it tastes like a decadent dessert.
why you will love this smoothie
- Healthy, Yet Decadent Tasting. While this smoothie tastes like a rich peanut butter cup, it is chock full of protein, healthy fats, fiber, and calcium.
- Simple Ingredients. You don't need protein powders or artificial sweeteners to make this healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie. Instead, it is made with easy-to-find, everyday ingredients that naturally give it its flavor and pump it full of protein, fiber, and calcium.
- Suitable for Variety of Needs. Whether you are looking for a healthy snack to enjoy after a hard workout, an on-the-go breakfast, a healthy snack recipe for kids, or a healthy treat to satisfy your craving for chocolate, this chocolate peanut butter smoothie fits the bill!
Notes On Ingredients
- Milk: Use any variety of milk or non-dairy milk you like. I personally prefer unsweetened almond milk, as it is low in sugars and high in calcium.
- Yogurt: Using plain Greek yogurt adds an incredible amount of protein to this smoothie, without the need for adding protein powders. Feel free to omit the yogurt or use your favorite non-dairy yogurt.
- Peanut Butter: You can't have a peanut butter smoothie without peanut butter! While you can use any type of peanut butter you like, I recommend an all-natural peanut butter that is made simply with peanuts and salt.
- Banana: A ripe banana will sweeten the smoothie without the need to add any additional sweetener. For a thicker smoothie, use frozen banana chunks.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds add protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids, but it is optional.
- Ground Flaxseed: Much like chia seeds, flaxseed adds protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. It is another optional ingredient, but I love packing in the nutrients when possible.
How to Make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Pour your milk into the blender. Adding milk to the blender first will help the smoothie blend easily and the ingredients incorporate evenly.
- Add the cocoa powder, yogurt, peanut butter, chia seeds, and flaxseed to the blender.
- Finally, add the banana, broken into small chunks, into the blender.
- Blend on medium-high speed until well combined.
- Serve immediately with an additional drizzle of peanut butter and chopped chocolate if desired.
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie: Use non-dairy milk and non-dairy yogurt. I recommend using Instant Pot Coconut Yogurt or your favorite brand of soy milk or coconut milk yogurt.
- Like it sweet? If you are desiring your smoothie to be on the sweeter side, add up to 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup or 2 softened dates to the blender before blending. You could also opt to use vanilla Greek yogurt in place of plain Greek yogurt.
As with most smoothies, it is best to prepare this smoothie right before you intend to enjoy it.
However, this is one smoothie that you can refrigerate and enjoy at a later time. Due to the addition of chia seeds, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie will thicken as it sits and can be enjoyed as a delicious, healthy pudding after it has been refrigerated for a couple of hours. Simply refrigerate the leftover smoothie for up to 2 days in an airtight container and trade the straw out for a spoon to enjoy!
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Tropical Kale Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Cherry Smoothie
If you enjoyed this Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Smoothie, please be sure to leave a comment and review below.
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds optional
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed optional
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 ripe banana
- Place all milk into the blender first. Add in the yogurt, peanut butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds, and flaxseed. Break the banana into small chunks and add to the blender.
- Place the lid on the blender, and blend on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately, topping with an additional drizzle of peanut butter and/or chopped chocolate.