Pizza and grilled cheese collide to form one delicious sandwich! This Pizza Grilled Cheese is a fun, yet easy way to enjoy the flavors of pizzas in sandwich form.
I never bought school lunches growing up. But I was always envious when the cafeteria was serving up Pizza Bobs--AKA Pizza Grilled Cheese.
Pizza Bobs were simply grilled cheese sandwiches made with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. This combination inspired me to create my own improved, more flavorful Pizza Grilled Cheese.
Tons of cheese, pepperoni, and toasted garlic bread create a grilled cheese that has all the flavors of a pizza. It is a kid's dream sandwich.
Okay, I am not going to lie, I LOVE pizza grilled cheese as well!
- Bread: Select your favorite thick bread, such as Italian Bread for the base of these sandwiches. If you want to make Gluten-Free Pizza Grilled Cheese, use thick gluten-free bread.
- Cheese: Just like any grilled cheese, it all comes down to the cheese. I use a mixture of provolone and mozzarella for the best flavor.
- Pizza Sauce: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade pizza sauce.
- Toppings (optional): If desired, add a few slices of pepperoni to the sandwich. If you don't care for pepperoni, try sliced mushrooms, diced peppers, or olives, or just stick with good old plain cheese.
- Infused Olive Oil: Instead of using butter on the bread, take the opportunity to add a bit more flavor to the Pizza Grilled cheese, and mix together olive oil with garlic powder and dried oregano.
How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil with garlic powder and oregano.
- Brush the olive oil mixture over 4 slices of bread.
- Flip the slices of bread over and spread the 4 slices with about 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce to evenly cover the slice of the bread.
- Place 2 slices of provolone cheese, overlapping slightly, over the pizza sauce.
- Top with sliced pepperoni or other pizza toppings if desired, and then cover with 2 slices mozzarella cheese slices.
- Top the assembled grilled cheese with another slice of bread and brush each slice of bread with the seasoned olive oil.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Add the prepared sandwiches and toast until golden on each side. Don't be tempted to toast the grilled cheese over high heat to speed up the process. This will cause the bread will burn before the cheese is perfectly melted.
- Once golden and toasted, slice and serve.
Preparing Grilled Cheese for a Crowd
If you are making more than 4 grilled cheese sandwiches, a great time-saving tip is to place all the prepared sandwiches onto a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this pizza spin on grilled cheese, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Pizza Grilled Cheese
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teasspoon dried oregano
- 8 slices thick sliced bread
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 16 slices pepperoni optional
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, and oregano together. Brush on the exterior of 4 slices of bread.
- Flip the slices of bread over and layer each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, 2 slices provolone cheese, 4 slices of pepperoni, and 2 slices of mozzarella cheese. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread and brush the exposed side of the bread with the remaining seasoned olive oil.
- Heat skillet/griddle to medium heat. Grill sandwiches for 5-6 minutes per side, until golden and cheese is melted.
Gosh Kristen! Is it lunchtime yet??!!
I think it is 😉
I know what I'm having for lunch today...this is incredible Kristen
You won't regret it Heather!
This is an amazing combo, deliciousness!
This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much Anita!
nicole @ I am a Honey Bee
i'd love this grilled cheese. love pepperoni!
Then this is for you!!
Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table
Hello there, dinner perfection! Love this combo of pizza grilled cheese and marinara soup - how fun is that! Know my kiddos would love it and so would I 😉
It was a family winner here for sure Kathryn!
Lauren Gaskill | Making Life Sweet
Girl you totally nailed the photos on this one!!! This looks amazing!
Aw thanks so much Lauren!
This is such a comforting meal - yum!
Comforting for sure!
Finally, a way to satisfy my kids' pizza cravings in a way that keeps me sane and the pizza delivery guy from knowing my name and address by heart! This looks incredible!
LOL! Love that! And yes, this will keep teh delivery guy away for sure!