Pizza and grilled cheese collide to form an outrageously delicious pizza grilled cheese sandwich. This unique spin on grilled cheese is sure to quickly become a favorite recipe!
I never bought school lunches growing up. But I was always envious when the cafeteria was serving up Pizza Bobs--AKA Pizza Grilled Cheese.
Pizza Bobs were simply grilled cheese sandwiches made with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. That combination inspired me to create my own improved, more flavorful Pizza Grilled Cheese.
Reasons to Love Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Super Easy Recipe. Grilled cheese is an incredibly simple recipe to make, and the same is true with this recipe for Pizza Grilled Cheese.
- Insanely Delicious. Tons of cheese, pepperoni, and toasted garlic bread create a grilled cheese that has all the flavors of a pizza. It is a pizza lover's dream sandwich.
- Favorite Kid-Friendly Meal. Serve this Pizza Grilled Cheese with a bowl of Instant Pot Tomato Soup for a unique spin on a classic grilled cheese and tomato soup combo. Or with carrot sticks and fruit salad for a simple kid-friendly lunch.
Notes on Ingredients
- Bread: Select your favorite thick bread, such as Italian Bread for the base of these sandwiches. If you want to make Gluten-Free Pizza Grilled Cheese, use thick gluten-free bread.
- Cheese: Just like any grilled cheese, it all comes down to the cheese. I use a mixture of provolone and mozzarella for the best flavor.
- Pizza Sauce: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade pizza sauce.
- Toppings (optional): If desired, add a few slices of pepperoni to the sandwich. If you don't care for pepperoni, try sliced mushrooms, diced peppers, or olives, or just stick with good old plain cheese.
- Infused Olive Oil: Instead of using butter on the bread, take the opportunity to add a bit more flavor to the Pizza Grilled cheese, and mix olive oil with garlic powder and dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
∗ Tips for Making Pizza Grilled Cheese∗
The following tips are provided to help you achieve perfect results. You will find the detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Add herbs to the butter. Adding garlic powder and oregano to the butter will further enhance the pizza flavor.
- Don't add a thick layer of sauce. Adding pizza sauce to the sandwich will help to replicate the flavor of pizza, but you just need a thin layer. A thick layer will make the sandwich soggy.
- Layer the toppings. I recommend using both sliced provolone and mozzarella cheese, for the best flavor. If you are opting to add toppings, like pepperoni, between the cheese, this will also help prevent the bread from getting soggy.
- Cook over low heat. Don't be tempted to toast the grilled cheese over high heat to speed up the process. This will cause the bread will burn before the cheese is perfectly melted.
Preparing Grilled Cheese for a Crowd
If you are making more than 4 grilled cheese sandwiches, a great time-saving tip is to place all the prepared sandwiches onto a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
If you enjoyed this pizza spin on grilled cheese, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, and oregano together. Brush on the exterior of 4 slices of bread.
- Flip the slices of bread over and layer each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, 2 slices provolone cheese, 4 slices of pepperoni, and 2 slices of mozzarella cheese. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread and brush the exposed side of the bread with the remaining seasoned olive oil.
- Heat skillet/griddle to medium heat. Grill sandwiches for 5-6 minutes per side, until golden and cheese is melted.