Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies: Wholesome ingredients come together simply to create a decadent tasting cookie that guilt-free. Vegan. Naturally-Sweetened. Gluten-Free.
Cookies. Are your kids like my kids and become crazed at the mention of cookie? Okay at the mention of ANY sweet?
The funny thing is that for the first 5 years of my son’s life, he refused to eat any cookies.
He didn’t eat cake, he didn’t eat muffins, pancakes, ice cream or even chocolate. He just wasn’t into sweets. 8 years later, you mention a dessert or candy and his eyes become the size of UFOs. No really, he had these huge eyes anyways, and his eyes seriously look like they are going to take over his whole face.
But really, I can not blame them, as I have a bit of a sweet tooth myself and do like to reward myself with a bit of chocolate every single day.
Unfortunately, sugary sweets cannot and should not be included in our daily diets. Of course there is the whole it isn’t healthy for you thing, but it also really messes with our blood sugars–ugh, CF diabetes is NOT fun.
But come on, we should still be able to eat cookies every single day and I think you should too!
That is why I created Healthy Banana Cookies.
Simple, Wholesome, Gluten-Free, Naturally-Sweetened, and Vegan. They may sound too healthy, but trust me they will satisfy the sweetest of sweet teeth. It is the magic combination of dates and bananas. We call dates God’s Candy at our house because they are just that sweet.
While I love my Banana Oatmeal Cookies, after a running out of applesauce, I have discovered that you can add in some sweet potato (or even pureed pumpkin) into the batter and all of the sudden your sweet cookie is bumped up with some serious veggie power.
Not to mention it tastes delicious!
You guys know how much I love my Easy Sweet Potato Recipes.
In fact, check Layla and I out making these cookies. We couldn’t help ourselves and dug into the raw batter (hey, there are no raw eggs in this dough!)
These sweet potato cookies are loaded with viatmin A, fiber, potassium and whole grains.
Plus Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with cranberries and raisins are just SO DARN GOOD.
Seriously, when something this healthy makes kids eyes the size of UFOs you know that is something to CELEBRATE!!
Notes on Gluten Free Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Either quick cook oats or old fashioned oats work in these oatmeal cookies. Just be sure to use certified gluten-free oats if needed.
- Blend the oats up first for a finer texture to the cookie if desired (the pictured oatmeal cranberry chocolate chip cookies have been made without blending the oats.)
- If you don’t have sweet potato puree, canned pumpkin puree works as well.
- Be sure to use dates that have not been coated in sugars.
- Soak whole dates in hot water for 5-30 minutes to soften and be easy to blend. You can save the juice to sweeten other things.
Be sure to take a look at all my Oats Recipes as oats in all shapes and forms happen to be one of my favorite ingredients to cook with.
Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 cups oatmeal either quick or old fashioned work in this recipe
- 3 ripe bananas mashed well
- 1 cup whole dates
- ⅓ cup sweet potato puree or canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together all ingredients until well combined.
Scoop by tablespoon size onto a large cookie sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Now you need to make them for your kiddos (or yourself).
More “Sneaky” Veggie Ideas:
Sunday Supper Kid Friendly Vegetable Recipes
- Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Kid Sized Smoothies by The Freshman Cook
- Sweet Potato Crust Quiche by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Muffins with Veggie Cream Cheese by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Broccoli Shells and Cheese by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Eat Your Veggies Beef Tacos by Simple and Savory
- Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce for Orange Orzo by Caroline’s Cooking
- Veggie Ramen by NinjaBaker.com
- Broccoli Tots by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Cauliflower by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Kid-Friendly Baked Potato Fries by Hardly A Goddess
- Salad on a Stick by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Zuppa di Ravioli by Gourmet Everyday
- Dairy Free Veggie Ice Pops by Our Good Life
- Healthy Homemade Taquitos by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies by A Mind Full Mom
- Veggie Egg Rolls by My Savory Spoon
For even more kid friendly vegetables check out these Vegetable Recipes for Picky Eaters by The Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.