Juicy, plump blackberries and raspberries combine with sweet and crunchy crisp topping, to create one easy and satisfying summer dessert–no oven required.Are you all as in love with summer produce as I am? I find myself over-doing it a bit on my produce purchases with all the fresh and ripe selections from my local farmers market. Let’s see there are peaches, watermelon, sweet corn, vine-ripened tomatoes, mangoes, and berries–lots of berries. We are not lacking in our daily consumption of fruits and veggies at this house!
To be honest, we eat most of our produce, unadulterated. There is a handful of watermelon here, some berries snacked on in late afternoon, etc, etc! However, my creative little brain is always thinking about ways to turn this produce into more than just a snack. How about mangoes in guacamole, tomatoes layered in quinoa, fresh pineapple grilled with chicken….the list could go on and on and on. And hopefully the recipes I produce will go on and on for you as well!
This past week, I found myself in an effort to clean out the fridge and freezer BEFORE making a run to the grocery store for minimal necessities. We have been preparing to move and it is amazing what I have on hand that I need to use up!
I had some fresh blackberries and frozen raspberries. I also had a stash of my homemade granola in the pantry, and a half gallon of our favorite all natural vanilla ice cream in the freezer. Sounds like the makings of a good crisp to me!
Oh, but it was 100 degrees–I certainly did NOT want to turn my oven on. What about grilling the crisp alongside of the burgers I was making for dinner? Deal sealed! I was gonna grill a crisp.
And this could not be any easier or any more delicious. It is as simple as mixing together some berries (any combination will work) with a bit of cornstarch and maple syrup and topping with some granola! YOUR KIDS CAN EVEN MAKE THIS! Throw the baby on the grill and let it bubble away. (Just be sure to use a grill safe pan–cast iron is awesome for this!)
Let me say this is pretty awesome as is and then it is dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free, and vegan. But top it with your favorite ice cream, and oh man!! It is a PERFECT dessert for summer!
And if you happen to have any leftovers, it is great with some yogurt for a perfectly balance breakfast. But we ate ours in one night 🙂
- 6 cups of berries (frozen, fresh, or a combination is fine)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- squeeze of half a fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- butter or coconut oil for greasing pan
- 3 cups homemade granola (or your favorite store bought brand)
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine berries, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cornstarch together. Pour into a cast iron skillet, or grill safe pan. I greased my cast iron skillet with butter. Replace butter with coconut oil to keep this dish vegan.
- Crumble the granola over the top of the berries evenly and cover with foil. Place on the grill. Cover the grill and cook anywhere from 20-30 minutes. My crisp was bubbling and hot at 20 minutes, but this will depend on your grill's heat and level of your flames.
- Serve plain, with whipped cream, yogurt, or ice cream.
*Remember you can use any berries you like. I used 12 ounces frozen raspberries combined with 2 pints fresh blackberries for a total of about 6 cups.
What is your favorite UNEXPECTED thing to grill?