All the classic flavors of a Cubano sandwich in pizza form. Mojo pork, sweet ham, tangy pickles, sharp cheese, and mustard go from a sandwich to mouth-watering pizza Cubano Pizza.
When it comes to meals, I am a planner and hate to let food go to waste.
Therefore, I am always looking for ways to use up my leftovers, and often my weekly meal plan includes a meal or two that has been created from leftovers. Not only does this help cut down on food cost, but it also makes making meals SO much faster as well.
Whenever I have leftover shredded pork or ham, I get the craving for a Cubano.
A Cubano is a classic Cuban sandwich made with pork, ham, Swiss cheese, and pickles that is extremely popular in the Miami area. While the sandwich is delicious, I rarely have enough leftovers to make enough sandwiches for my entire family.
That is why making a pizza with the leftover pork and ham is the BEST option. Not to mention, this Cuban Pizza is absolutely DELICIOUS and a creative spin on pizza night.
How to Make Cubano Pizza
Leftover shredded pork is KEY to making this pizza. Leftover Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas or leftover Instant Pot Carnitas give this pizza the best flavor. However, you can use any leftover shredded pork you have–even smoked BBQ pork would be delicious.
As for the ham, you can certainly use leftover Instant Pot Ham or leftover baked ham, but you can also just purchase a ham steak from your deli or grocery store and dice that up to use for the pizza.
Once you have your ham and pork, this Cubano pizza comes together easily.
- Roll out homemade pizza dough, or your favorite store-bought dough.
- Spread the dough with mustard, as that is traditional in Cubanos. This is the time to use yellow mustard, not Dijon.
- Add leftover shredded pork, being sure to drain off excess liquid from the pork so your pizza does not get soggy.
- Sprinkle with diced ham and then smother in Swiss cheese and then bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned.
- Once baked, I throw on the diced pickles.
More Leftover Ham Recipes
While this Cuban style pizza is a great way to use up leftover ham, if you find yourself with additional leftover ham, these other recipes are also delicious options!
- Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
- Ham and Swiss Roll
- Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll out pizza dough onto greased 12 inch pizza pan. Spread with mustard, then layer on the ham, pork, and cover in cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and crust is cooked through.
- Top with dill pickles and serve.
- Use any leftover shredded pork you like. Mexican style or carnita meat is best, but even smoked pork will work well.