Add intense flavor to endless dishes using this recipe for Copycat Lipton Dried Onion Soup Mix. This Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix is a flavorful blend of everyday spices made without added bouillon or sugar that will help elevate your meals!
Copycat Dried Onion Soup Mix
Growing up, my mom always had Lipton Onion Soup Mix in her pantry. She used it to make rice pilaf and to season things like burgers and potatoes. And I have to say, it really is a great way to add incredible flavor!
However, that pack of onion soup mix doesn't just add flavor to dishes, it also amps up the sodium and often has added preservatives, sugar, MSG, and gluten.
But you can still replicate that savory flavor using my recipe for Homemade Dried Onion Soup Mix.
By making your own Dried Onion Soup Mix, you save money AND skip all the preservatives and additives that are added to make store-bought onion soup mixes shelf-stable. And let me tell you, this homemade version still packs in a HUGE punch of flavor.
Spices Needed for Onion Soup Mix
- Onion: To pack in A LOT of onion flavor, this recipe calls for both dried onion flakes and onion powder.
- Garlic Powder: Every recipe is better with garlic powder!
- Celery Seed: This is not a commonly used spice in most homes and may not be one you typically keep on hand. However, it is necessary to achieve the same flavor found in Lipton Onion Soup Mix. It is also delicious in salad dressings and rubs, so it won't go to waste in your pantry!
- Dried Parsley: A little bit of dried parsley adds a bit of freshness to the blend.
- Salt and Pepper: Because this recipe does not call for bouillon, you need to add salt and pepper to enhance the flavors. I recommend kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper for best results.
∗ important to remember ∗
For the most flavorful spice blend, be sure your dried spices are no more than 6 months old. While certainly safe to use, they begin to lose flavor.
Storing Homemade Onion Soup Mix
Just like all my spice blends, I recommend storing this onion soup mix in an airtight container in a cool, dark space, like a spice cabinet or pantry. It will last indefinitely but is best if used within 6 months, as the flavor will begin to fade.
How To Replace Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Use ¼ cup of Homemade Onion Soup Mix in place of every packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
Recipes Using Onion Soup Mix
Beyond using this blend as a replacement for Lipton Onion Soup Mix, you can also use it to enhance flavor in a variety of ways.
- Use Dried Onion Soup Mix to make the easiest Chip Dip ever!
- Add a tablespoon or two to rice while cooking for incredible flavor, or use it to make Homemade Rice Pilaf or Instant Pot Rice Pilaf.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the Slow Cooker Pot Roast in addition to other seasonings for an additional layer of flavor. Or make a delicious Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast, without seasoning packets!
- Prepare a quick and flavorful marinade for meats or vegetables by mixing 2 tablespoons of the Onion Soup Mix with ⅓ cup olive oil and ¼ cup red wine vinegar. It is my go-to marinade when preparing Vegetable Kabobs.
- Season meatloaf or burgers by adding 1-2 tablespoons of the onion soup mix to the meat mixture before cooking.
- Replace the salt in Air Fryer Potatoes, Baked Fries, or Roasted Red Potatoes for a delicious, savory spin.
Additional Homemade Spice Blends
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Homemade Seasoned Salt
- Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Old Bay Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Dill Seasoning
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
If you tried out this recipe for Onion Soup Mix, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Copycat Lipton Dried Onion Soup Mix - Without Bouillon
- ½ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine the spices together in a small mixing bowl, until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months in the pantry.