This recipe for Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix is a flavorful blend of everyday spices made without added bouillon or sugar.
A Healthier Onion Soup Mix
Growing up, my mom always had Lipton Onion Soup Mix in her pantry. She used it to make rice pilaf and to season things like burgers and potatoes--and it really did add incredible flavor!
I use Dry Onion Soup Mix in my own kitchen now, but instead of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, I make my own homemade blend.
By making your own Dried Onion Soup Mix, you save money AND skip all the preservatives and additives that are added to make store-bought onion soup mixes shelf-stable.
My recipe also does not call for added bouillon, making this recipe vegan-friendly and free of MSG, caramel color, and MUCH lower in sodium.
And let me tell you, this homemade version still packs in a HUGE punch of flavor.
Spices Needed for Onion Soup Mix
- Onion: To pack in A LOT of onion flavor, this recipe calls for both dried onion flakes and onion powder.
- Garlic Powder: Every recipe is better with garlic powder!
- Celery Seed: This is not a commonly used spice in most homes and may not be one you typically keep on hand. However, it is necessary to achieve the same flavor found in Lipton Onion Soup Mix. It is also delicious in salad dressings and rubs, so it won't go to waste in your pantry!
- Dried Parsley: A little bit of dried parsley adds a bit of freshness to the blend.
- Salt and Pepper: Because this recipe does not call for bouillon, you need to add salt and pepper to enhance the flavors. I recommend kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper for best results.
How to Make Homemade Onion Soup Mix
- In a small bowl or shallow dish, mix together the onion flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed, parsley, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Using Dry Onion Soup Mix
This homemade recipe for Onion Soup Mix can be used in any recipe that calls for Onion Soup Mix. For every packet of the purchased mix, use ¼ cup of this homemade blend.
Beyond using this blend as a replacement for Lipton Onion Soup Mix, you can also use it to enhance flavor in a variety of ways.
- Add a tablespoon or two to rice while cooking for incredible flavor, or use it to make Homemade Rice Pilaf or Instant Pot Rice Pilaf.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the to Slow Cooker Pot Roast in addition to other seasonings for an additional layer of flavor.
- Prepare a quick and flavorful marinade for meats or vegetables by mixing 2 tablespoons of the Onion Soup Mix with ⅓ cup olive oil and ¼ cup red wine vinegar. It is my go to marinade when preparing Vegetable Kabobs.
- Season meatloaf or burgers by adding 1-2 tablespoons of the onion soup mix to the meat mixture before cooking.
- Replace the salt in Air Fryer Potatoes, Baked Fries, or Roasted Red Potatoes for a delicous, savory spin.
Additional Homemade Spice Blends
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Homemade Seasoned Salt
- Old Bay Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Dill Seasoning
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
If you tried out this recipe for Onion Soup Mix, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Dry Onion Soup Mix
- ½ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine the spices together in a small mixing bowl, until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months in the pantry.