Jamaican Jerk Seasoning a versatile spice blend that adds a huge punch of flavor to a variety of dishes. This homemade jerk seasoning blend will add heat, sweet, and incredible depth to a variety of recipes.
This recipe for jerk seasoning was shared with me from a Jamaican chef while I was vacationing in Jamaica. It is such a nuanced blend of spices that takes me right back to my time in Jamaica.
While there are quite a few spices in this Jerk Seasoning recipe, chances are you have most of them on hand.
Spices in Jerk Seasoning
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- dried thyme leaves
- dried parsley
- crushed red pepper flakes
The spices are mixed together with a bit of sugar, which helps to balance out the heat in this spice blend. It is intricate in taste and really helps to deliver authentic Jamaican flavor.
How to Store
Store homemade jerk seasoning in an airtight jar or container. You want to make sure you store your spice seasoning in a sealed container so that it will not absorb flavors from other spices in your spice cabinet.
Jerk seasoning will last up to 6 months, and while safe to consume after 6 months, it has the best flavor in that time frame. After 6 months, dried spices begin to lose their potency.
How to Use
Let your imagination guide you when it comes to using this Jamaican spice blend.
- Use to season grilled shrimp or pan-fried shrimp.
- In place of the wet Jerk marinade in Grilled Chicken Kabobs, use this dry rub and grill immediately.
- Use to season grilled pork chops or grilled pork tenderloin.
- Use to season Caribbean Rice and Beans.
- Use to season fish fillets before baking the oven or grilling.
More Homemade Spice Blends
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to travel to Jamaica and learn Jamaican recipes from a native resident. I hope you give this blend a try and enjoy a culinary trip to the Islands of “No Worries.”
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months in the pantry or spice cabinet.
- Use in any recipe that calls for Jerk Seasoning.
- Be sure to use fresh spices for the best flavor.
- Decrease red pepper flakes for a less spicy result.