This simple blend of dried seasonings creates an all-purpose Homemade Greek Seasoning that is perfect for adding Mediterranean flavor to salads, fish, meat, veggies, and more!
Keeping your pantry stocked with homemade spice blends, like Taco Seasoning, Chili Seasoning, Cajun Seasoning, Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, and this Greek Seasoning, is an easy and affordable way to make your meals sing with flavor without adding fat or calories.
why you will love Greek Seasoning
- Adds Incredible Flavor. Greek Seasoning is made with a combination of dried herbs that creates a homemade spice blend that lends an earthy, slightly citrus flavor to dishes.
- Endless Uses. This versatile spice blend adds authentic Greek flavor to fish, chicken, vegetables, salads, and more!
- Quality Control. Homemade Greek Seasoning is made with simple dried herbs. No additives, MSG, or anti-caking agents you may find in store-bought Greek seasoning.
- Simple Ingredients. You likely have all the dried herbs in your pantry to whip up Greek seasoning right now.
- Cost-Effective. Making your own homemade spice blends will typically cost you less in the long run than purchasing pre-packaged blends.
Ingredients in Greek Seasoning
- Oregano: Use dried oregano labeled as Greek oregano, Italian oregano, or Mediterranean oregano, not Mexican oregano. Mexican oregano is more pungent with a slight licorice flavor.
- Dried Dill Weed: Dried Dill has a super concentrated flavor and lends a nice flavor to the Greek seasoning blend.
- Dried Basil: Dried basil adds a savory flavor with slight notes of mint.
- Aromatics: Adding both garlic powder and onion powder will add depth and savoriness to this spice blend.
- Salt & Pepper: Use kosher salt, rather than table salt (iodized salt). Kosher salt brings out the flavor of the other spices, without leaving an overly salty taste.
- Optional: Cinnamon: For warmth, add a pinch of cinnamon.
∗ important to remember ∗
For optimum flavor, be sure you use dried herbs that are no more than 6 months old. As spices sit in the pantry, they begin to lose their flavor.
How to Make Greek Seasoning
Making a homemade Greek spice blend is incredibly simple to do. You simply add the dried herbs, spices, salt, and pepper to a container or bowl and mix. You just want to b sure to mix the spices evenly together so that the flavor is consistent throughout the spice blend.
Storing Spice Blends
It is best to store Greek Seasoning, or any homemade spice blend, in an airtight jar or container, like a ball jar, or small spice jar to ensure moisture stays out of the spice blend. This will also help prevent flavors from other spices in your pantry to permeate the Greek spice blend.
While certainly safe to consume for an indefinite amount of time, I don't recommend keeping the Greek Seasoning longer than 6 months in a dry pantry, as the flavor will begin to lose potency.
How to Use Greek Seasoning
Homemade Greek Seasoning adds a balanced earthy, citrusy, savory Mediterranean flavor to any dish you opt to add it to. It can be used in endless ways, but below are some of my favorite ways to highlight this homemade Greek seasoning blend.
- Make a quick Greek Salad Dressing by combining ⅓ cup of red wine vinegar with ½ cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and 2 teaspoons of this homemade Greek Spice Blend.
- Make a delicious Greek Marinade, using this Greek Seasoning blend to flavor the marinade. It is perfect to use on chicken.
- Make Roasted Greek Potatoes, by adding 2 teaspoons of this homemade greek seasoning to cubed potatoes, along with the oil before roasting red potatoes.
- To season rice or quinoa, add 1 tablespoon of per cup of uncooked grains in recipes like Instant Pot Jasmine Rice or Instant Pot Quinoa.
- Make a quick Greek dip that is perfect for serving with vegetables or warmed pita bread by adding 1 teaspoon of this Greek seasoning blend per cup of plain Greek yogurt. Brighten up the dip with the juice of a fresh lemon if you have it on hand.
More Homemade Spice Blends
If you tried this simple blend for Homemade Greek Seasoning, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oregano, dill, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper, and cinnamon if using. Mix together until everything is well distributed.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container or jar, to keep the moisture out of the seasoning, and store it in your pantry for up to 6 months.