Pizza Bread has all the flavors of pizza in a fun, pull-apart savory monkey bread. This simple appetizer can be pulled together easily with pre-made dough or made completely from scratch--either way, it is a delicious, cheesy recipe that is perfect for a party!
This Pizza Monkey Bread recipe makes a perfect party appetizer, especially when served alongside Instant Pot Chicken Wings. But it also makes a fun kid-friendly meal when paired fresh fruit and veggies and homemade dill dip.
What is Pizza Bread?
Growing up, one recipe my entire family of 6 got super excited for Pizza Bread.
My mom prepared this recipe by cutting up pizza dough into cubes and then tossing with cheese and spices. It bakes up like a pull-apart bread loaf that is flavored with pizza seasonings. And it is delicious!
It may sound odd to cut it all up before preparing the pizza bread, but this is KEY. This technique that you often see in Monkey Bread Recipes, allows for different textures and allows for the bread to be able to be pulled apart into small bite-size pieces.
Whether you call this Pizza Bread, Pizza Monkey Bread, or Pizza Bubble Bread, one thing is guaranteed--this cheesy, gooey, pizza seasoned bread will become a favorite!
Best Ingredients to Use
- Pizza Dough: Most often I see Pizza Bread made with canned biscuits. If you want the BEST Pizza Bread, you need to ditch the biscuits and instead use pizza dough. The pizza dough will bake up so much softer and there is no canned biscuit taste. letting the flavors of pizza really shine through. I use homemade pizza dough for this recipe, but feel free to use refrigerated pre-made pizza dough and this recipe will come together with hardly any effort.
- Toppings: As for what to add to the pizza bread, it is all about what you like. Start off with lots of shredded cheese, dried oregano, garlic powder--that in and of itself is all I feel Pizza Bread needs. But feel free to add in pepperoni, Italian sausage, olives, or mushrooms.
- Garlic Oil: Instead of simply greasing everything with olive oil, I highly suggest mixing garlic powder and olive oil together before using the olive oil. It is a simple step that imparts a lot of flavor to this pizza bread.
How to Make Pizza Bread
Step One: Prepare Dough
For this recipe, you need 2 pounds of pizza dough. As I stated, I really like to use my recipe for pizza dough, but you can use store-bought pizza dough.
Once you have made your dough, you want to cut your dough into 1-inch cubes. I find it is best to do this on a floured work surface, to help prevent the dough from sticking.
Step Two: Add Toppings
Add the dough cubes to a lightly oiled mixing bowl, along with the shredded cheese, spices, and any other toppings you are using. Toss until the toppings are evenly distributed through the pizza dough.
Step Three: Form the Pizza Bread
Evenly spread out the prepared dough in the pan. Drizzle with additional olive oil.
At this point, it looks like a giant loaf of messy dough but once this pizza bread is baked, it will have nuggets of cheese and seasonings in every bite. Some of the cheese will get browned and crispy and some will stay creamy and gooey--it will have a little bit of everything!
Step Four: Bake
Bake until browned and the center of the dough is completely cooked through. Check your pizza bread halfway through cooking. If you notice the top is browning before the dough is cooked through, cover with foil for the remaining of the bake time.
Step Five: Serve
Invert the bundt pan on a serving platter and then flip back over--this side is more visually appealing.
Serve with a side of pizza sauce or marinara.
Tips and Modifications
- Feel free to prepare this Pizza Bread in a 9x13 baking dish instead of a bundt pan. Spread the prepared dough in a greased 9x13 pan and reduce baking time to 15-20 minutes.
- If you want to cut this recipe in half, use only 1 pound of pizza dough and bake in a 9x9 greased pan for 15-20 minutes. There will not be enough dough for this recipe to be prepared in a bundt pan.
- If using canned pizza dough, use 2 (13.9-ounce) cans and proceed with the recipe as stated.
- Use any toppings as desired, but it is best to limit toppings that are high in moisture (like peppers, mushrooms, and spinach) to no more than ½ cup so that the dough does not become soggy.
- I add garlic powder to flavor the olive oil for extra flavor, feel free to skip this step.
- I have made Pizza Bubble Bread with the pizza sauce on the side and with a bit of the pizza sauce mixed with the pizza dough. My family much prefers the flavor of serving the sauce on the side. If you would like to add pizza sauce to your pull-apart pizza bread, add ¼ cup.
More Cheesy Pizza Creations
- Pizza Meatloaf: This is NOT your average meatloaf. Instead, it is stuffed with cheese and flavored with pizza seasonings.
- Spinach Pizza: A white pizza made with gooey cheese and a layer of spinach. This is a great way to enjoy your greens.
- Pizza Rolls: Made with puff pastry, these bite-sized pizza rolls are buttery, cheesy, and perfect for parties.
- English Muffin Pizzas: This simple snack comes together in minutes and is always a hit with the kids!
This Pizza Bread is the BEST way to enjoy savory monkey bread. If you give it a try, I would love for you to leave a comment below!
- 2 pounds pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- favorite toppings for pizza (pepperoni, peppers, onions, sausage, etc) up to 1 cup
- 2 cups Marinara sauce for serving
- Combine olive oil and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder in small bowl.
- Grease a bundt pan or 9x13 baking dish and a large mixing bowl with the olive oil mixture, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the mixture.
- Lightly flour a cutting board or working surface. Roll the dough out into a 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle--or something of that nature. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with olive oil. Add the dough cubes, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasonings, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, a small pinch of salt, and up to 1 cup of pizza toppings of your choice. Toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Spread the dough mixture evenly in the bundt pan or baking dish and brush the remaining olive oil evenly over the top of the dough.
- Cover the bundt pan with a towel and let the dough rest while the oven heats to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes if using a bundt pan, or 15-20 minutes if using a baking dish, until bread is cooked through and golden brown. Check the pizza bread halfway through cooking. If you notice the top is browning before the dough is cooked through, cover with foil for the remaining of the bake time.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minute in pan. Serve right from baking dish, or if a bundt pan was used, carefully remove the pizza bread from the bundt pan, using a knife to loosen from the sides of the pan if needed. Invert the bread and serve with pizza sauce or marinara sauce.
- If you want to cut this recipe in half, use only 1 pound of pizza dough and bake in a 9x9 greased pan for 15-20 minutes.
- If using canned pizza dough, use 2 (13.9 ounce) cans and proceed with the recipe as stated.
- Use any toppings as desired, but it is best to limit toppings that are high in moisture (like peppers, mushrooms, and spinach) to no more than ½ cup, so that the dough does not become soggy.
- If you would like to add pizza sauce to your pull apart pizza bread, add no more than ¼ cup to the dough mixture before baking.