Forget frozen fries! Homemade Air Fryer French Fries have an irresistible crispy exterior, yet are soft on the inside, and they taste better than store-bought fries! Plus Air Fryer Fries are much lower in fat and calories and incredibly easy to make using your air fryer.
And while I still love my recipe for baked fries, I now rely on my Air Fryer French Fry Recipe to easily make crispy, tender homemade fries!
Why Air Fryer French Fries are the Best
- Fast. There is no need to wait on your oven to preheat or heat up your kitchen for this recipe. In less than 30 minutes from start to finish, you can have crispy, homemade french fries. And yes, that includes the time it takes to wash and dice your fries!
- Perfect Results. Like my recipe for Air Fryer Potatoes, this recipe for Air Fryer Fries produces flavorful, crispy potatoes. The outside gets a perfectly crisp exterior, while the inside of the fry remains melt-in-your-mouth tender! These fries have a similar taste and texture as deep-fried fries, minus the grease!
- Guilt-Free. French Fries are thought of as a guilty pleasure. But these air fryer fries use minimal oil to create crispy fries that are low in fat, yet satisfy the craving for salty, crispy fries.
- Minimal Clean-Up. You can enjoy crispy fries WITHOUT grease to dispose of or grease splatter to deal with.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Fries
- Potatoes: For classic french fries use russet potatoes. However, Yukon gold potatoes will work as well. You can opt to remove the peel or leave the peel on the potatoes. I personally opt to leave the peels on my homemade fries for additional nutrients and fiber.
- Oil: Air Fryer French Fries only require a small amount of oil. I recommend using just enough to lightly coat the fries. This will help the seasonings to adhere to the fries and help them become unbelievably crispy, just as good french fries should be! As for what oil to use, canola oil, vegetable oil, and olive oil are all good options.
- Seasonings: The options for seasoning air fryer fries are endless. You can keep it simple and just season the potatoes with salt or try out one of the unique combinations I share below. My favorite combination is to season these fries with garlic powder, paprika, and kosher salt.
How to Make French Fries in Air Fryer
Step One: Prepare Potatoes. It is important to keep in mind you want to evenly slice your potatoes so that each fry is about the same size. This will ensure your fries all cook evenly in the same amount of time. I also recommend tossing the fries with the oil and seasonings in a large mixing bowl, to ensure the oil and seasonings are evenly distributed.
Step Two: Air Fry. It is best to lay your seasoned fries into an even layer in your air fryer basket or tray. It is okay if the fries slightly overlap but for even cooking, it is best to try to keep the fries in a single layer and to flip the potatoes halfway through the air frying.
Step Three: Serve. Air Fryer Fries, just like all french fries, are best served immediately when they are nice and hot. Serve them plain or with ketchup, ranch, BBQ Sauce, or your favorite dipping sauce.
FAQs About Air Fryer Fries
Soaking the fries before cooking helps to draw out excess starch and allows the fries to hold up better to deep-frying. But when you are making homemade fries using the air fryer, I find that soaking the potatoes first results in negligible differences. Save yourself time, and simply air fry!
While you can use a mandoline for slicing, I find it easy to cut your potatoes into fry shapes using a sharp chef's knife. Slice a potato in half lengthwise. Lay each half cut-side down. Slice lengthwise into ¼- to ½-inch-thick slices, and cut each of those slices lengthwise into ¼- to ½-inch-thick fries.
∗ Flavor Options for Air Fryer French Fries ∗
This recipe for air fryer fries is perfectly seasoned as is, but sometimes you want to change up the flavor. Replace the salt, paprika, and garlic powder in the recipe, using one of the following seasonings, and enjoy unique french fries!
- Ranch-Flavored: Use 2 teaspoons of store-bought or Homemade Ranch Seasoning, along with 1 teaspoon of oil before air frying.
- Taco-Flavored: Season the fries with 2 teaspoons of Taco Seasoning, along with 1 teaspoon of oil before air frying.
- Savory Onion-Flavored: Toss the fries with 2 teaspoons of Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix, along with 1 teaspoon of oil before air frying.
- Cajun Spiced Potatoes: Toss potatoes 2 teaspoons of Homemade Cajun Seasoning along with 1 teaspoon of oil before air frying.
- Low-Sodium/Salt-Free: Cut the salt to ¼ teaspoon OR omit completely if on a salt-free diet.
Make it a Meal
Serve these crispy air fryer french fries with one of the following entrees for the ultimate family meal.
- Sloppy Joes
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
If you enjoyed this recipe for Air Fryer Fries, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- If your Air Fryer is a model that needs to preheat, preheat to 400℉. It should only take about 5 minutes to be ready.
- To prepare the potatoes, scrub the skin well and pat dry. If desired, remove the peel from the potatoes. Slice the potatoes into sticks that are about ¼-inch thick. To do this, slice each potato in half lengthwise. Lay each half cut-side down on the cutting board. Slice lengthwise into ¼- to ½-inch-thick slices, and cut each of those slices lengthwise into ¼- to ½-inch-thick fries.
- Place the prepared potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add the oil, salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Toss to coat so that the potatoes are evenly coated in the oil and seasonings.
- Place the potatoes into the air fryer basket or tray in a single layer. It is okay if a few potatoes slightly overlap each other. Air fry for 6 minutes. Remove the air fryer basket or tray and flip the potatoes over. Continue to air fry for 6 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove the crispy fries from the air fryer and if needed repeat the process, keeping the prepared fries warm in a 225℉ oven.
- Serve warm as desired.