Overnight Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal: Mix all the ingredients together in a slow cooker and set it before bed and wake up to a hearty, gluten-free breakfast! This strawberry and cream oatmeal is a creamy delicious way to start any day!
If there is one thing that I am incredibly ashamed of from my high school days, it is the fact that I skipped breakfast almost every single day.
Wait, if THAT was my biggest regret in High School, I am one lucky girl. But I will save my serious regrets for another time….or not–LOL!!!
But in all seriousness, I NEVER left time to eat breakfast in the morning and about 10 am at school, I would hop in line to buy some freshly baked cookies from the cafeteria–real healthy, huh?!
Nowadays, if I even wait an hour to eat breakfast after getting up, I turn into the grump of all grumps and if I am really not careful, I will pass out from blood sugar issues. So NOW I make breakfast a priority–for myself AND for my family.
The problem with having breakfast on the table for my family, once again is TIME. My youngest needs to leave the house at 6:50 to get to school–that is early!!! And between getting her dressed, hair combed (I have long given up on braids and bows, as she takes them out of her hair by the time I drop her off at school), I have little time to throw together breakfast.
I am all about the make-ahead breakfasts to make my life easier! I love to have Freezer Egg and Ham Breakfast Sandwiches and Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins stashed in the freezer for eat and run breakfasts, but my family also really loves oatmeal for breakfast–be it Overnight Banana Pudding Oatmeal or Overnight Morning Glory Oatmeal for a cold treat or for a warm, filling breakfast, we love this Overnight Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oats.
I am pretty sure if y’all have been around here much, you KNOW how much I love Oatmeal. I love that it is a whole grain that is packed full of fiber and known to help regulate blood sugar and keep you full for hours! I also love the varieties and options for oatmeal are endless–like Oatmeal Pancakes, Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal, or even Oatmeal Cookies.
My new favorite is Slow Cooker Strawberry Oatmeal. I love that it is made with steel cut oats for a chewier, heartier texture and I absolutely adore the strawberry flavor. The Greek yogurt helps boost protein and creaminess and the cinnamon wakes the dish up with flavor. But the BEST part???? It is made in the SLOW-COOKER while I sleep. Talk about a time-saver!
I get to wake up to my house smelling like strawberries and cream and have a few extra minutes to help tie shoes, or heaven forbid–sleep!
- 2 cups steel cut oats (no substitution)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt--plus additional for topping (use coconut yogurt if dairy free)
- 2 cups strawberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- honey, or maple syrup if desired
- Mix oats, water, milk, 1 cup yogurt, 1½ cups strawberries, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt together in large slow cooker (grease with coconut oil or spray for easier clean-up). Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low for firm texture and 8 hours on low for softer texture. Alternatively, cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- To serve, dish up oats and top with additional strawberries, a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup if desired.
*The strawberries make this dish perfectly sweet for my family, but a drizzle of honey or maple syrup will sweeten perfectly if desired.