Step-by-step instructions on how to EASILY make your own Vegetable Spring Rolls at home that are filled with a delicious medley of lightly sauteed veggies.
My family adores fake-out take out.
You know, recipes you make at home that you may get as take-out from restaurants.
Recently, we gave Homemade Spring Rolls at home and we were NOT disappointed.
Homemade Spring Rolls
Making your favorite Chinese take-out recipes has never been easier, now that you can purchase great products like wonton wrappers and spring roll wrappers at just about any grocery store.
Add in some leftover vegetables, and you can make these Spring Rolls in just a few simple steps.
How to make Spring Rolls
Step One: Saute the vegetables.
- In a large wok, or skillet, heat one teaspoon of oil.
- Add in vegetables of your choice.
- I prefer broccoli slaw, bean sprouts, fresh snap peas, and edamame–but the options are endless.
Step Two: Season the Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Add freshly grated ginger, garlic, and soy sauce to sauteed veggies.
Step Three: Set up spring roll rolling station.
- A bowl with warm water to soften the spring rolls in.
- The prepared vegetable mixture
- Spring roll wrappers
- A wet tea towel to work on
- This keeps the spring rolls nice and pile-able.
- A baking sheet that has been greased with water to prevent spring rolls from sticking.
Step Four: Assemble the spring rolls.
- Take a wrapper and place in bowl of water for about 20 seconds, until softened.
- Place the vegetables on the wrapper
- Use 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture right in the middle of the wrapper.
- Roll the spring roll up.
- Roll like an envelope.
- Fold in sides of spring roll then bottom of spring roll.
- Roll up gently.
Step Five: Serve and enjoy!
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce of your choice.
- Soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, hot mustard or red sweet chili sauce are great options.
- If not serving immediately, place in sealed container, layered between wet paper towels to keep spring rolls moist for 24 hours.
How to make Homemade Broccoli Slaw
I use broccoli slaw in these spring rolls. You can find the slaw at just about any store, but it is cheaper to make your own at home, using broccoli stalks and carrots.
- Simply shred fresh broccoli stems and peeled carrots in a food processor, fitting with the grating blade.
A Few Notes on Vegan Spring Rolls
- You will more than likely not use all the vegetables you sauteed. If this is the case, use them as your vegetables for an Easy Stir Fry.
- This is a great recipe to use leftover vegetables you have. Cabbage, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, green onions, etc
- Be sure to use freshly grated ginger in these Spring Rolls, for the best flavor. If you do not have ginger root, omit the ginger altogether–do not substitute with ground ginger powder.
- These spring rolls are best served right away. If you do have leftovers, wrap in damp tea towel and place in refrigerator in sealed container for 1-2 days, changing cloth after 24 hours.
- Spring Roll Wrappers are made from rice and water and therefore SHOULD be gluten-free, but be sure to double check package labels to be safe.
- Avocado oil, peanut oil or canola oil are the best options for sauteing your vegetables in prior to stuffing in spring roll filling for optimum flavor.
- I like to serve Spring Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce, Hot Mustard or a Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce.
More Asian Recipes
- Easy Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls
- Vegetable Potstickers
- Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy
- General Tso’s Chicken from Skinnytaste
- Easy Vegetable Fried Rice
Vegan Spring Roll Recipe
Vegan Spring Rolls
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 package Spring Roll Wrappers
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over high heat in large wok or skillet.
- Add in slaw, snap peas, edamame, bean sprouts, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Saute for 4-5 minutes until just warmed through.
- Soften spring roll wrappers one at a time in a warm, shallow bowl of water. Be sure to work carefully, but quickly, and on a lightly damp surface to keep rice paper from sticking.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons vegetables on the center of the spring roll wrapper. Fold up bottom of spring roll, to cover vegetables. Fold in spring roll wrapper sides, and roll up the spring roll. Place spring roll on lightly oiled or wet sheet pan and repeat process.
- Serve with dipping sauce of choice.