Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken is a simple, flavorful recipe made with perfectly cooked, tender chicken breasts in a creamy, spicy buffalo sauce.
With just a few affordable ingredients and about 30 minutes from start to finish, you can make a large batch of Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken that is perfect for sandwiches, dips, wraps, Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Buffalo Chicken Tacos, and more!
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken is a family favorite recipe and happens to always be a hit at parties. Everyone loves the flavor and I love how insanely easy it is to make!
Using the same tried and true cooking technique as my famous recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Breast, this recipe for Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken adds spices, hot sauce, and cream cheese to create perfectly cooked, tender shredded chicken that is swimming in a creamy buffalo sauce. It is fantastic!
Notes on Ingredients Needed
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: Boneless, skinless thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts if desired.
- Pineapple Juice: Pineapple juice is one of my favorite flavors to add to shredded chicken. It adds a touch of sweetness and helps to tenderize the meat. It also is the perfect complement to the spiciness of the hot sauce. If you don't have pineapple juice use Instant Pot Chicken Stock or low-sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock.
- Buffalo Sauce: You can really amp up the flavor of this dish by using homemade buffalo sauce, but because the chicken is so well-flavored and we are adding in cream cheese, you can simply use your favorite cayenne pepper hot sauce in place of buffalo sauce (which is more balanced in flavor than hot sauce on its own.)
- Seasonings: To add flavor to this shredded chicken, add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt.
- Cream Cheese: Adding cream cheese is optional, but it tames down the spiciness of the buffalo flavoring and makes a really creamy sauce. Omit if you would like a lower-fat or dairy-free version of buffalo chicken.
Be sure that each chicken breast is about the same size--that way the chicken will cook evenly.
How to Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
While this is an incredibly simple recipe, if you are unfamiliar with cooking in an Instant Pot or the functions of your Instant Pot, be sure to start with How to Use an Instant Pot for the best results on this and future recipes. You will find the full recipe in detail in the recipe card below.
- In the inner pot of your electric pressure cooker, combine the pineapple juice (or stock), hot sauce, garlic, onion powder, salt, and paprika.
- Nestle chicken in the seasoned liquid.
- Close and seal the lid. Set to cook on HIGH PRESSURE using the manual or pressure cook function, not the poultry function.
- Small Chicken Breasts (~6 ounces in size): 6 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE
- Medium/Standard Chicken Breasts (~8 ounces in size): 7 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE
- Large Chicken Breasts (~10 ounces in size): 8 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE
- Frozen Chicken Breasts: Add 4 minutes to the cooking time based on the size of your chicken.
Pro Tip: Set cream cheese out next to Instant Pot while the chicken cooks to soften.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release for at least 10 minutes, this will keep your chicken tender.
- After the pressure has been released, remove the cooked chicken from the instant pot and place it on a cutting board or in a large bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes. This is another tip for keeping your chicken tender and juicy!
- Meanwhile, add the cubed cream cheese to the cooking liquid left in the inner pot. Place the lid back on the inner pot, and leave it on the keep-warm setting. The cream cheese will slowly melt into the sauce from the residual heat, as you shred the cooked chicken.
- Shred or chop the chicken and then add the shredded chicken back into the inner pot, stirring to incorporate. If the cream cheese is not fully melted at this point, turn the Instant Pot to Saute and heat through, watching closely so as to not burn the cream cheese.
If you have leftover shredded buffalo chicken, allow it to cool slightly and then refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Alternatively, allow the chicken to cool completely and then freeze in 1-2 cup portions in air-tight containers/freezer bags to use for future meals. Defrost chicken in the fridge overnight before using.
Ways to Serve Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Use this buffalo chicken as the base for Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
- Inside tortilla shells for Buffalo Chicken Tacos or in cheese quesadillas for a spicy spin on a classic quesadilla.
- Instead of baked chicken, use this shredded buffalo meat on Buffalo Chicken Salad.
- Serve with creamy coleslaw on buns for Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches.
- Wrap up the Shredded Buffalo Chicken in a wrap with shredded carrots and ranch dressing for a simple wrap.
- Instead of using raw chicken in Buffalo Chicken Casserole, replace it with leftover Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken and decrease cook time by 10 minutes.
- Take 2 cups of this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken and mix with ½ cup ranch dressing and 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and golden for a Buffalo Chicken Dip perfect for parties.
More Easy Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you tried this recipe for Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken breasts or thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 cup pineapple juice or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened, and cubed (optional)
- In the inner pot of the pressure cooker, combine the pineapple juice, hot sauce, garlic, salt, paprika, and onion powder. Nestle the chicken in the liquid.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, and ensure the vent knob is sealed.
- Set to cook on high pressure using the pressure cook or manual function using the following guidelines for determining the cooking time. Small Chicken Breasts (~6 ounces in size): 6 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE/10 minutes if frozenMedium/Standard Chicken Breasts (~8 ounces in size): 7 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE/11 minutes if frozenLarge Chicken Breasts (~10 ounces in size): 8 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE/12 minutes if frozen
- Allow to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release if needed.
- Remove chicken from the liquid and place it on a cutting board or mixing bowl and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add the cubed cream cheese to the cooking liquid. Place the lid on Instant Pot and let the cream cheese warm through and melt into cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks or cut it into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back to the inner pot and mix into cooking liquid. If the cream cheese is not fully melted at this point, turn the Instant Pot to Saute and heat through, watching closely so as to not burn the cream cheese.
- Serve as desired.