Zesty, tangy, and full of flavor, this recipe for Instant Pot Italian Beef results in the most mouthwatering, tender beef. Made with pepperoncini peppers and a homemade spice blend, Italian Beef is delicious served on its own, or as a base for an Italian Beef Sandwich.
Instant Pot Italian Beef is one of the most flavorful ways to prepare a chuck roast. Whether served as a shredded beef sandwich or served over mashed potatoes, I suggest pairing this beef with a Tossed Greek Salad for a delicious meal that the entire family will rave about!
What is Italian Beef?
Spoiler Alert: Italian Beef is NOT an authentic Italian recipe.
This recipe originates in Chicago, where Italian Beef Sandwiches are a delicacy.
The classic recipe is made with heavily seasoned shredded beef and then loaded up onto a toasted bun with pepperoncini peppers. Oftentimes, Giardiniera, or pickled Italian vegetables, is added to the sandwich along with provolone cheese.
My recipe features the same incredibly seasoned beef and sticks to just using pepperoncini peppers, as this appeals to pickier eaters 😉.
Italian Beef is an incredibly flavorful recipe and is a great change-up to Instant Pot Pot Roast, Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast, and Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches when preparing a chuck roast.
- Chuck Roast: Chuck roast is best for this recipe, as it is well-marbled. It will produce the most tender, juicy shredded beef.
- Italian Seasoning Mix: Most recipes for Italian Beef are made with a packet of Italian Dressing Mix. This recipe uses a homemade blend of Italian seasonings that is SO much more flavorful and doesn't contain any allergens. You more than likely have ALL the dried herbs on hand to whip up this simple seasoning blend. I do add freshly minced garlic as well because garlic makes EVERYTHING better!
- Pepperoncini Peppers: Use jarred pepperoncini peppers. You will need an 8-ounce jar for this recipe, or 1 cup of peppers and ⅓ cup of the canning juice. Whole or sliced pepperoncini peppers work. Personally, I prefer the sliced peppers. They add a bit more zing to the beef and they are the perfect size for adding to Italian Beef Sandwiches as well.
- Beef Stock: For the cooking liquid, I use a combination of beef stock and the juice from the peppers. Be sure to select low-sodium stock, or decrease the salt added to the Italian seasoning so that your meal is not overly salty.
This recipe for Instant Pot Italian Beef comes together with MINIMAL prep. There is no need to sear the chuck roast, which means it is literally a dump-and-go recipe. Perfect for busy days!
- Pour the stock into the instant pot and then add the chuck roast.
- Sprinkle with the garlic and the Italian Spice blend, and then top with pepperoncini peppers.
- Add the pepperoncini juice to the instant pot for the final bit of flavor and that is it! Talk about easy!
- Place the lid on the instant pot and be sure the vent knob is sealed. Set to cook for 75 minutes on HIGH pressure. Do this by hitting manual or pressure cook and using the +/- buttons to adjust the time.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release for at least 15 minutes. This is CRUCIAL for tender beef. If you do a quick release of pressure the meat may seize up and become dry and/or tough.
- Remove the chuck roast to a large bowl or cutting board and use 2 forks to shred. I typically suggest shredding the meat with a handheld kitchen mixer, but in this case, the Italian Beef will be falling apart on its own, so forks will do the job quickly.
Italian Beef is traditionally served on toasted rolls, topped with additional pepperoncini pepper slices. For an additional kick of flavor, add sliced provolone cheese and pickled Italian vegetables.
Low Carb? Serve the shredded Italian Beef alongside roasted vegetables, a side salad, or over mashed cauliflower.
Leftover Italian Beef
Leftover Italian Beef can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or frozen in the leftover juices for up to 3 months.
I love to use the leftover cooking liquid and beef as a base for soup. It is rich and flavorful and creates a delicious base for an easy vegetable beef soup.
- Place 2 cups of the cooking liquid into the inner pot.
- Add in 2 cups of water, 16 ounces of diced tomatoes, 2 chopped carrots, 3 cups of cubed potatoes, and 1 cup of frozen green beans. If you have any leftover beef, you can add a bit of that to the mixture as well.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and let the pressure release naturally. Season if needed, stir in ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and serve.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Directions
No Instant Pot? This Italian Beef is easily prepped in the slow cooker. Layer the ingredients in a large crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours or until the beef is falling apart.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
Regardless of how you enjoy this Shredded Italian Beef, you will love how simple and flavorful this instant pot beef recipe is! I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know how you enjoyed this recipe!
Instant Pot Italian Beef
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 1 ½ cups beef broth low sodium
- 1 cup pepperoncini peppers sliced or whole
- ⅓ cup juice for pepperoncini peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Italian Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper optional
- In a small bowl combine the basil, oregano, rosemary, minced onions, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper together. Set aside.
- Pour the beef stock into the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Add the chuck roast to beef stock. Sprinkle with the minced garlic and the Italian Spice blend. Top with the sliced or whole pepperoncini peppers. Add the pepperoncini juice to the instant pot.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and be sure the vent knob is sealed. Set to cook for 75 minutes on HIGH pressure. Do this by hitting manual or pressure cook and use the +/- buttons to adjust the time.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release for at least 15 minutes. Then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chuck roast to a large bowl or cutting board and use 2 forks to shred--it should be falling apart on its own.
- Serve on toasted rolls with the pepperoncini peppers and pickled Italian vegetables if desired, or serve over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or on its own.
- Chuck roast is best for this recipe. It will produce the most tender, juicy shredded beef.
- If your chuck roast is frozen, cook for 90 minutes on high pressure.
- Leftover Italian Beef can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or frozen in the leftover juices for up to 3 months.
- The leftover cooking liquid and beef are delicious used in soups when watered-down with diced tomatoes or additional stock.
- If you do not use low-sodium beef broth, it is crucial to decrease the salt to ½ teaspoon.
- For 1-cup of pepperoncini peppers, you need an 8-ounce jar of peppers.
- You can use banana peppers instead of pepperoncini peppers, but the result will not be as tangy.
- If desired, add 8-ounce Giardiniera (Chicago-Style Italian Sandwich Mix,) drained to this recipe when you add the Pepperoncini Peppers. Personally, I do not like the texture of this mix when pressure cooked. But it is delicious when added to the sandwiches.