Mint Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies: A rich chocolate cookie flavored with mint extract. These tasty chocolate mint cookies are a perfect cross between a brownie and a cookie.
I think I have mentioned my love to go overboard with holidays.
And don’t think I overlooked St. Patrick’s Day.
To me, St. Patrick’s Day means green food and shamrocks and rainbows and traditional Irish fare.
We aren’t talking about breaking out the green food coloring.
And I round out St. Patrick’s Day with desserts that feature Bailey’s Irish Liquor–like Bailey’s Chocolate Mousse, or the mint chocolate combination in these chocolate mint cookies.
Mint Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies
Chocolate and mint are a combination made in heaven in my book.
And I grew up having Shamrock Shakes and peppermint patties after my corned beef and cabbage.
So mint, chocolate and St. Patrick’s Day seem like a match made in heaven.
Although, why limit yourself to mint brownie cookies just at St. Patrick’s day, these chocolate cookies that are kissed with mint are a perfect treat to sample any time.
I did choose to use a few healthier swaps in these mint chocolate chip cookies.
- Greek yogurt for half the butter traditional in chocolate cookie recipe.
- Whole White Wheat Flour instead of all-purpose flour
But I still used good old sugar, so yes, these chocolate mint brownie cookies are still a dessert!
A Few Notes on Chocolate Mint Cookies
- Because I used Greek yogurt in the mint chocolate cookie batter in place of some butter, these cookies are much fluffier and puff up more than spread out like a traditional cookie would. Therefore they taste more like mint chocolate brownie bites in my book–but in cookie form.
- If you don’t have whole white wheat flour, all-purpose flour can be substituted. Even a 1:1 Gluten-Free baking flour can be substituted to make Gluten Free Chocolate Mint cookies.
- Be sure to only use a tiny bit of peppermint extract–it is very potent stuff. It will keep for a couple years safely in your pantry and can also be used to make Homemade Thin Mints.
- The glaze is completely optional on these Mint Chocolate Cookies, but it does add a nice touch.
Mint Chocolate Brownie Bites
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder or regular
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- 4 TBS powdered sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter, yogurt and sugar together until very creamy.
- Add egg and mint extract and beat until pale and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine flour with salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Slowly mix into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips gently.
- Scoop about 1/2 tablespoon of batter onto cookie sheet, leaving 1 inch between brownie bites (I use a small cookie scoop.)
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until batter is set. Cool slightly on tray and then cool completely on wire rack.
- Once cookies are cooled, mix the powdered sugar with the water and a the tiniest drops of peppermint extract (VERY potent stuff) and drizzle over brownie bites while still on cooling rack. This step is not necessary but dresses up these little bites.
If you liked these Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies, you may also like