Homemade Hot Chocolate with Frozen Peppermint Whipped Cream: Homemade hot chocolate that will blow your mind. Simple, clean ingredients make this drink rich and velvety and a sweet frozen surprise adds a kick of peppermint flavor and a bit of magic. My Christmas lights are twinkling, carols are playing, the fire is crackling, and cookies are being pulled out of the oven.
That, my friends, is my definition of one of the favorite things about the Christmas season. There is nothing that I love more than my family being gathered together on a chilly winter’s night, just taking in the magic of the season and delighting in some of our favorite cookies, warm from the oven. For absolute perfection, hot chocolate must be served–complete with whipped cream mustaches–my family loves to giggle at the evidence of decadent treats on eachother’s faces.
To complete my perfect winter’s eve, I love to make a simple and clean version of hot chocolate. Nothing fancy, just milk, cocoa, vanilla, and dark chocolate blended together to create a luscious drink fit for Santa. But to take this hot chocolate from So good, to Oh my word, I like to top off the hot chocolate with frozen whipped cream that has been sprinkled with crushed candy canes. And as the cream melts into the hot chocolate, the drink becomes creamier and ever so slighly tastes of peppermint. It is divine. Not to mention, a bit magical for kids to watch their cream dissolve into their hot chocolate.
Do not be intimidated by the Frozen Peppermint Whipped Cream–it is REALLY easy. I just whipped up heavy cream (be sure to buy one with just pure cream, no fillers like carraggean) and then put into a sandwich bag. I snip the corner off the bag and swirl into little mounds onto a parchment lined cookie sheet that remind me of soft serve ice cream. I sprinkle each whipped cream mound with crushed peppermint and then place in freezer until solid. Then I transfer to a freezer safe bag, so I can pop out one or two of my hot chocolate toppings as needed.
This Hot Chocolate with Frozen Peppermint Whipped Cream is just what your holiday season needs to be made a bit sweeter!
- Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons crushed candy canes (about 4)
- Hot Cocoa:
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- dash of salt
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped finely
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 4 cups milk (any variety)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Whipped Cream:
- Beat cream until stiff peaks form. (Do not add sugar--hot chocolate is sweet enough.) Transfer cream to a quart size baggie. Snip edge of bag, and pipe out cream onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper, into the shape of mounds. Alternatively, you can just scoop small tablespoons onto parchment paper. Sprinkle with the crushed peppermint candies and put into freezer until solid (about 1 hour).
- For Hot Chocolate:
- Whisk together cocoa, salt, and dark chocolate in medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in both milk and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Once chocolate has completely melted and milk is warmed through, remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Serve with Frozen Peppermint Whipped Cream