Mexican Eggs Benedict with Avocado Hollandaise: A Mexican spin to a classic. A perfectly poached egg sits upon a spicy refried beans on a toasted muffin and then finished with fresh tomatoes and a creamy Avocado Hollandaise. Served with a Mexican Avocado Salad, all made with organic avocados from ALDI.
I love breakfast food. I think you all know that by now. The options are endless–from savory quiches to easy frittattas to sweet pancakes and tender muffins. And I am pretty sure you all know I love Mexican food as well. I can’t think of a Mexican meal that my family does not LOVE! And again, the variations on Mexican cusine are nearly endless.
So it seemed like a perfect idea to me to combine my love of breakfast with my love of Mexican. Through in my love of ALDI and now we are really talking!
If you chat with me long about where I grocery shop and how I stay on budget, you know that I LOVE ALDI. My budget survives because of ALDI’s rock bottom prices. And I have peace of mind when I shop there, because all ALDI brands have removed trans-fat, artificial food coloring, and MSG. It makes my shopping A LOT easier! Plus ALDI has a fabulous selection of Never Any! meats that are all nitrate free. Again, something I love! Recently ALDI has expanded their organic produce–the newest item to hit the shelves has been organic avocados. I seriously am not sure I can handle all the love I have for ALDI! I can not adore avocados and the fact that I can buy organic avocados at ALDI prices blows me away!
So it was settled. Easter Brunch at my house this year was going south of the border and we were going to nosh on Mexican Eggs Benedict with Avocado Hollandaise and an Avocado and Tomato Salad, all made with ALDI products.
Let’s get started with the Mexican Eggs Benedict, because WOW, it is a breakfast game changer! How can you go wrong with a perfectly poached egg served atop spicy refried beans on a toasted English muffin? You can’t! But when you top it off with a bright Avocado Hollandaise that is made with lime and cilantro–mind blown!!!
Let me let you in on another secret about me: I am not a patient person, so the traditional way of poaching eggs in simmering water, is not for me! So here is the BEST tip ever: You can poach eggs in the oven! And they turn out perfect every, single time! And you can make dozens at a time! Perfect for a big brunch.
All you do is spray a muffin tin pan with non-stick spray or grease with a bit of oil or butter. Add 1 tablespoon of water to each muffin cup. Crack an egg into each muffin cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes. Now that was easy!!
So now it is just a matter of toasting up your buns in the oven while the eggs bake, mixing up the hollandaise, dicing a few tomatoes and stirring a few spices into the beans. And done. And a perfect dish for brunch awaits you.
- 12 Goldhen eggs
- 1 package L'Oven Fresh English Muffins
- 1 can Casa Mamita Fat Free Refried Beans
- 1 teaspoon Stonehill Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Stonehill Cumin Powder
- 2 Mission Organic avocados
- 1 lime
- ½ cup Friendly Farms Greek Non-Fat Yogurt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup Happy Farms crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Add one tablespoon water to each muffin cup. Crack each egg into the muffin cups. Bake for 13 minutes.
- On a baking sheet, lay out the 6 English muffins, seperated into halves. Toast in oven for 7 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the refried beans with the chili powder and cumin powder. Spread on the toasted muffin halves and return to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until beans are warmed.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the 2 seeded and peeled avocados, Greek yogurt, cilantro, salt, and zest and juice of the lime until smooth.
- To serve: Lay an egg on top of each muffin that has been topped with the refried beans. Sprinkle with a bit of tomato and feta cheese. Drizzle with the avocado hollandaise and serve.
To round out this meal, I picked up SimplyNature Organic Mixed Greens and diced up the remaining avocadoes and tomatoes I had purchased at ALDI and tossed them together with some crumbled feta cheese for a side salad. I topped the salad with the leftover Avocado Hollandaise, which made the most delightful dressing for a fresh salad.
And let me tell you, this is one brunch I could eat every single day. It is just that good!While I was paid by ALDI, all opinions expressed are my own.