Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Apples: A tangy and slightly sweet light dressing made with Greek yogurt is tossed with sharp shredded Brussels sprouts and sweet apples. Think you hate Brussels sprouts? Think Again!
I grew up having to eat steamed Brussels sprouts every Christmas and Thanksgiving. They were boiled, they smelled, they were mushy–they were HORRIBLE!! That started my hatred for the vegetable.
However, as I grew, I became a bit more adventurous with my eating habits. And I was forced into quite a few social settings were I needed to man up and try a few new things. As I began to experience things like deep fried Brussels sprouts with honey and Roasted Brussels sprouts, I realized there was joy to be found in these little cabbages. In fact, I discovered I LOVE Brussels Sprouts. I was just particular in how they were prepared–Sorry, mom, but no steamed sprouts for me!!
Roasted–love them. Fried–love them (kind of a no-brainer). How about raw?
Well I knew I LOVED my Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad, so to make a sweeter salad with the addition of apples and maple with Brussels sprouts, sounded like a good idea to me.
I paired the sprouts with shredded apples and carrots for an added touch of sweetness and made a creamy dressing of Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. And it was DYNAMITE!!! Like so good, I was pinching my fingers and stealing bites from the fridge long before I planned on serving the salad (my hands were clean!)
This tangy salad is a bit sweet and savory and can be eaten all alone or makes a fabulous slaw for Honey Mustard Pork Sandwiches.
So if you think you hate Brussels sprouts, try out this salad–it is fresh and delicious! And not at all MUSHY!!!
A Few Notes on Apple and Brussels Sprouts Slaw:
- I used my food processor to quickly shred the Brussels sprouts, apples, and carrots. You can use a box grater instead or even cut them in small strips.
- I love to use a sweeter apple like honey crisp or gala in this Apple Brussels Sprouts Salad–the Brussels sprouts are sharp enough the sweetness helps.
- Be sure to use only pure Maple Syrup and remember a little goes a long way.
- The apple will grate easier peeled. Be sure to save that peel for a wonderful brine for turkey or pork.
- This Apple Brussels Slaw is best after sitting for at least an hour. It keeps for 48 hours perfectly.
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Apples
- 3 cups fresh Brussel Sprouts bottoms trimmed off and outer layer of leaves removed
- 1 apple such as Gala or Pink Lady
- 1 large carrot
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Shred the Brussel sprouts, apple, and carrot together in a food processor.
- Mix together the yogurt, vinegar, Maple syrup, and salt. Add in the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for an hour prior to serving to allow flavors to meld.