Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet: A boxed classic has been given a healthy upgrade, but yet still comes together in one pan for an easy, pleasing family meal.
I think I may have shared with you that my husband grew up eating a lot of processed foods. His mom served canned gravy with pot roast and jarred sauce for spaghetti. He often stated that his favorite meal was Hamburger Helper–yes, the kind where you brown up some meat and dump in the box and dinner is done.
I don’t blame his mom at all for resorting to these short-cuts. They made her life easier. And we all like easy don’t we?!
You start off just as you would when making a boxed Hamburger Helper. Brown up 1 pound of meat. You can use turkey, beef, or even chicken. In fact, you can do 1/2 pound of ground meat and 1 can of pinto beans to cut back on meat if you would like too. I prefer lean ground sirloin.
I keep this simple in flavorings. No fresh onions or fresh garlic–just onion and garlic powder. You know, to keep the kids happy–which makes dinner a much more pleasurable experience! And then the combination of tomato paste, tomato sauce and beef broth create the perfect base for the noodles to cook up and abosorb all the delicious flavor. I add in a dash of Worchestire Sauce for rich depth of flavor and call it dinner.
Sometimes, I go crazy and sub out half the beef broth for milk and add in grated cheddar cheese at the end for a Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper. But truly both are good. And both are loved by my family. And both are done in under 30 minutes–So that is why this classic comfort food is one of my busy week-night go-tos. And I want to say, it will soon become one of yours as well!
Another great comfort food re-make is Healthy Chicken a la King from Healthy Seaonal Recipes.
- 1 pound ground sirloin (or turkey)
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 3½ cups MSG free low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups dried whole wheat elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 teaspoon Worchestire sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the meat and brown up, breaking up into small pieces. Once meat is cooked, drain off any fat and return to heat.
- Add tomato paste and seasonings. Cook for 2 minutes to develop flavor. Add in tomato sauce and beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in noodles and turn down to medium heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirrinng occasionally, or until noodles cooked through and sauce is absorbed.
- Stir in Worschestire sauce and serve.
The real question is whether or not is it a family pleasing meal? Let me put it to you this way–we NEVER have leftovers. I also get shouts of joy for this simple dinner. And I am pretty sure your family will feel the same way that my family does.
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.