We had been out-of-town for 2 weeks. When we got home, you can imagine how empty my fridge was.
So you are probably thinking, Go to the grocery store.
And yes, that is what most people would do. And what I would have done had I not been fighting a horrible virus.
Looking around kitchen, showed me that I had PLENTY of food. Truly, it was almost disgusting how much food was stashed in my pantry and deep freezer. But at that moment I felt so relieved thanks to my stockpiles.
I wanted something warm and soothing on my sore throat and something that would please everyone in my family. Digging in the freezer, I discovered frozen tortellini, homemade chicken stock , kale, and homemade spaghetti sauce. I knew that these 4 ingredients would come together to create the most wonderful, comforting Tortellini Soup.
Tortellini and Kale Soup
We even got to top our soup with fresh Parm–FYI: that sucker will last forever in the fridge if you wrap in wax paper and then place in air-tight baggie.
Tortellini Soup is SO good–you would never guess it came from a raid of a freezer and pantry and is made with 5 ingredients!
But look around, I bet YOU could pull this off too–regardless of how tired you are! And while I highly recommend stocking your own freezer with staples like chicken stock and spaghetti sauce, you can certainly make this with a jar of pasta sauce and canned stock.
Notes on 4 Ingredient Kale and Tortellini Soup
- The secret with quick, simple meals is the quality of ingredients. With that said, be sure to use quality marinara sauce, good vegetable stock and fresh or frozen tortellini.
- If you don’t have vegetable stock, use chicken stock as long as you are not Vegetarian.
- If you have an extra 10 minutes, saute garlic and onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil before adding marinara and stock–but remember, you can skip this step as most marinara sauces are already filled with deep flavor like my homemade tomato sauce.
Be sure to check out all my Easy Healthy 30 Minute Family Meals!
4 Ingredient Tortellini and Kale Soup
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups homemade marinara sauce or store-bought
- 1 cup chopped frozen kale
- 2 cups cheese tortellini frozen or fresh
Bring chicken stock, marinara sauce, and kale to a boil. Reduce heat to medium heat and add in tortellini. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through.
Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.