Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote: Tender, whole wheat, sweet potato pancakes are topped with a spiced apple compote–a great way to start any day!
We had been eating WHATEVER we could grab for breakfast that was quick and easy as we unpacked and adjusted back to early school mornings.
I was done with toast and cereal and wanted a REAL breakfast.
And even though it was unseasonably hot, I was ready for fall.
Hence, Sweet Potato Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote. Filling? Check! Healthy? Check! Reminiscence of fall and cooler temperatures? Check! Delicious? Double Check! We were good to go.
Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote
As you know, I LOVE sweet potato recipes. I eat them in savory dishes, sweet dishes, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.
You add the warming spices of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to apples simmering in pure maple syrup–well, I am beyond ready to toss the googles into storage and break out my sweaters and boots.
Since sweaters were not an option in the 90 degree weather, I would opt to pretend it was fall. Easy to do when you take a bite of these pancakes.
Easy Healthy Sweet Potato Pancakes
These are a great start to any morning, especially a morning that I was waking up HOME with my family.
Such a great way to celebrate the new season of our lives. Another great recipe to celebrate fall is these Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes from Gluten-Free Palate.
Notes on Sweet Potato Pancakes and Apple Compote:
- Feel free to substitute the cooked, mashed sweet potato with canned pumpkin. You may need to cut back on the liquid just a bit, as canned pumpkin tends to be moister then cooked sweet potato. Yes, they will be Pumpkin Pancakes, but still just as yummy.
- Apple Cider adds so much flavor to both the compote but feel free to omit and just use water. Even apple juice works in this spiced apples.
- I use whole wheat pancakes in the batter. You can use all-purpose or 1:1 Gluten Free Flour–both work and I have made the gluten free whole wheat sweet potato pancakes with success.
- Buttermilk is my go-to when making pancakes if I have it. If you don’t happen to have buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar to milk and let sit for 5 minutes. It will work!
- If you want to keep these dairy-free, use almond milk or apple juice in batter.
- If you don’t have butter, or want to make these Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Pancakes, I recommend using melted coconut oil. Canola oil will work as well.
- Have extra? Freeze for future use. Just lay out the pancakes in one layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes. Then remove and and place in freezer safe bag or container. Then pop one or more out of the bag at a time and reheat for 2 minutes and serve.
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote
- For the Spiced Apple Compote:
- 2 Braburn apples diced into 1/2inch cubes
- 1/4 cup apple juice or cider or water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground ginger root
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- For the Pancakes:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup or 1 large cooked, mashed sweet potato (skin removed)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or canola or melted coconut oil
For the compote:
Bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Allow to simmer until apples are tender, about 25 minutes while making and cooking the pancakes.
For the pancakes:
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.. Set aside.
Whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, and melted butter. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined.
Set aside the batter, while you heat a greased or non-stick skillet to medium heat.
Scoop 1/2 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake. Flip when bubble start to appear, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Looking for other pancake recipes? Check these out!