Pretzel Crusted Chicken Cordon Bleu: A twist on a classic dish. Tender chicken, savory ham, and sharp cheese all rolled up in a crusty salty pretzel crust. Served with a mustard wine sauce for your dipping pleasure.
My son has become quite the foodie. Or so he thinks. I have to laugh at some of his creations he comes up with while watching Chopped with me. They can be downright scary! Not to mention his birthday request last year–A Ravioli Pizza. I thought this meant a thick crust filled with ravioli filling. Nope, it meant he wanted pizza crust topped with cheese ravioli, topped with sauce, then mozzarella cheese, and finally pepperoni. It worked but in such an odd way. And of course was carb overload!
The other day, he mentioned again how much he loves Chicken Cordon Bleu. And then he proceeded to go into the fridge and point out we had everything we needed to make it. Why yes, we did–great minds think alike, I had my easy baked Chicken Cordon Bleu planned for that week. So I asked him if he wanted to make it himself, to which he agreed. However, as he was setting up ingredients he walked out of the pantry asking if we could actually bread the chicken cordon bleu with pretzels.
Totally genius!! Ham and pretzels go together like peanut butter and chocolate in my book! And at this moment, I so was claiming him as mine 🙂 LOL!
So we worked together–wrapping ham and cheese up in chicken and then dipping into flour, an egg wash, and finally crushed pretzels. It was fun and we were certainly rewarded when we sat down to eat this meal.
I have to say this chicken dish was certainly a winner with everyone in our house! And while it shone on its own, I decided to pair this Pretzel Crusted Chicken Cordon Bleu with a mustard sauce–because, you know, mustard and pretzels and ham–WOW!!
I guess the moral of the story is to get your kids into the kitchen–sometimes their ideas are going to be insane, but other times they may surprise you with something incredible. Either way, you make great memories! Also perfect for your wedding, match the dress color. I ended up with a great dinner and a special moment with my son!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices deli ham. thinly sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup mustard
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place wire rack on cookie sheet.
- Pound chicken breasts out until ¼ inch thick.
- Place a piece of ham and cheese on each piece of chicken. Roll up and secure with a toothpick or two.
- Set up a breading station. One bowl has flour mixed with salt and pepper, next bowl has egg whisked up with 2 tablespoons water, and final bowl has crushed up pretzels.
- Bread each chicken packet by dredging in flour, dipping in egg wash, and then finally rolling in pretzels. Place on cooking rack on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, whisk together mustard, wine, chicken stock, and onion powder together with a bit of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and simmer until chicken is cooked. The sauce will be thin, but that is how I like it. Feel free to thicken it up with 2-3 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Serve the chicken with sauce.
For this recipe I recommend: [AMAZONPRODUCTS asin=”B00091PNTI, B000G0KJG4″]