This Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole is the ULTIMATE comfort food recipe. A from-scratch, rich, cheesy sauce coats rice and tender chicken to create one irresistible, creamy chicken and rice casserole.
Our Favorite Chicken Casserole
The very first recipe I shared on my blog WAY back in 2014 was this Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole.
It is by far my family's all-time favorite comforting casserole dish, and through the years, it has proven to be one of your favorites as well.
This simple chicken and rice casserole is easy to make, tastes extremely indulgent, and appeals to just about every palate--even picky kids!
Made with leftover chicken, cooked rice, a simple from-scratch creamy sauce, and cheddar cheese, this chicken and rice casserole is a simple dish, yet still delivers incredible flavors.
Truly, what is not to love? Tender chicken and rice are swimming in a rich, cheesy sauce. It is absolute comfort food!
This is one of those casseroles you make when you are craving comfort, need to bring a meal to a friend, or just want to make your family smile.
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: This recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken, making it a great time to use any leftover cooked you have like store-bought or homemade Rotisserie Chicken, Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken, Roasted Chicken Breasts, or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Chicken Stock/Broth: Use either low-sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock to control the level of sodium.
- White Wine: I love adding white wine to elevate the sauce, but it is completely optional. Feel free to use additional chicken stock in its place. If using wine, use a dry white wine such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
- Herbs: To add depth of flavor and elevate this chicken and rice casserole into something memorable, I love to add fresh thyme and garlic. Both are optional and can be omitted for a more basic chicken and rice casserole.
- Cheese: Use a sharp or mild cheddar or Colby cheese for this casserole. For best results, grate the cheese yourself, as pre-grated cheese is coated in anti-caking agents which can prevent a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Rice: Use cooked white or brown rice. You will need 4 cups of cooked rice, which is equivalent to about 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- Gluten-Free Chicken and Rice Casserole: If you need this casserole to be gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice with Broccoli: Add 2 cups of chopped steamed broccoli to the casserole before baking.
- Buffalo Chicken and Rice Casserole: Omit the thyme, white wine, and minced garlic from the recipe. Stir in ½ cup bleu cheese or ranch dressing, ⅓ cup hot sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder into the cheese sauce along with the rice and chicken. Bake as directed.
- Lower Fat: To keep this recipe a bit on the lighter side, reduce the amount of cheese in half.
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
When using leftover chicken and precooked rice, this casserole comes together with minimal hands-on prep, but delivers incredible flavor!
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in an equal amount of flour, to form a thick paste, known as a roux.
- Cook the roux, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, which will cook off the raw flour taste and make for a really delicious sauce.
- Slowly whisk in the wine and minced garlic and simmer until thickened.
- Add the chicken broth, ¼ cup at a time, whisking to incorporate. By adding the broth slowly, you will avoid a lumpy sauce.
- Season the sauce with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Simmer, whisking often, until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir in half of the cheese.
- Cook until the cheese is melted into the sauce and then turn off the heat.
- Add the diced or shredded chicken and cooked rice directly to the sauce and toss to evenly coat.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish and then top with additional shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and golden, and the casserole is warmed through.
This Chicken and Rice Casserole is a hearty meal that stands alone. However, I love pairing this casserole with a side salad or steamed or roasted vegetables, like Instant Pot Green Beans or Roasted Broccoli.
Leftover Chicken and Rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen after baked for up to 1 month in an airtight freezer-safe container.
To reheat, allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight if needed, and then place the casserole in a shallow heat-safe dish. Cover with a moistened paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until warmed through. The paper towel will keep the casserole moist and the microwave clean.
How to Prepare in Advance
This Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake is a great casserole to prepare in advance and refrigerate or freeze to bake at a later time. This casserole bakes up perfectly from frozen, making it perfect to pop on a busy night or to take to a friend in need of a meal.
To prepare this casserole a advance, prepare up to baking. If freezing, be sure to use a disposable or freezer-safe baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with 2 layers of foil. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To bake from the fridge, remove the casserole from the fridge and remove 1 layer of foil. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, letting the casserole sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until warmed through.
- To bake from the freezer, remove the casserole from the freezer and remove 1 layer of foil. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, letting the casserole sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake for 60 minutes covered, remove the foil, and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
More Cozy Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this creamy, cheesy chicken and rice casserole, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Creamy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dry white wine or additional chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon fresh chopped thyme optional
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Lightly butter a 2 quart or 9x13 baking pan
- Melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute to cook off the raw flour taste.
- Slowly whisk in the wine and garlic, whisking until thickened. Add in the chicken broth ¼ cup at a time, whisking to incorporate. Add in the salt, pepper, and thyme, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer, whisking often, until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low and then stir in 2 cups of cheese until melted.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cooked rice and chicken.
- Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.
- To bake from the fridge, remove casserole from the fridge and remove 1 layer of foil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, letting the casserole sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until warmed through.
- To bake from the freezer, remove casserole from freeze and remove 1 layer of foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes covered and then uncovered for 15 additional minutes.
This recipe was the very first recipe published on my blog in February 2014. The pictures and recipe remain the same, but the post has been updated with tips, variations, and new photos in 2023.