Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy is an easy 15-minute dinner recipe, featuring juicy chicken and crisp-tender vegetables in a sweet and spicy sauce that is full of flavor, yet light on the waistline.
If you are looking for a recipe for bok choy, this Chicken Bok Choy Stir Fry is the ultimate quick-cooking healthy dinner recipe that lets this nutrient-dense vegetable shine!
What is Bok Choy?
Bok Choy is a variety of Chinese cabbage that is easy to find at most grocery stores. It is crisp, bright, fresh, and full of vitamins and minerals. And downright delicious when stir-fried.
When I am looking for a quick side dish, I love making stir-fried bok choy. But when I want a one-pot main course, adding lean chicken and carrots to the mix creates a simple meal that packs in a lot of nutrition and flavor.
Reasons to Love Chicken & Bok Choy Stir-Fry
- 15-Minute Dinner Recipe. This chicken dinner comes together faster than you can get through a drive-thru or call for take-out!
- Packed with Nutrients. Made with lean chicken that is rich in protein and vitamin-rich bok choy, this simple dinner recipe is not only good for you, but also downright delicious.
- Easy-to-Find Ingredients. This stir-fry is made with fresh ingredients you can find at any local grocery store. And the stir-fry sauce is made with pantry staples you likely always have on hand.
- Family-Approved. The Stir-Fry sauce for this chicken and bok choy recipe is made sweet and savory and not all overpowering, making it a kid-friendly, healthy dinner recipe.
- Adaptable. If you don't have bok choy or don't care for it, you can swap it out for another vegetable you like or have on hand.
Notes on Ingredients Needed
- Chicken: Use either boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Bok Choy: You can use baby or adult bok choy and it is available at most grocery stores. However, feel free to use napa cabbage in place of the bok choy if you can not find fresh bok choy.
- Stir Fry Sauce: This sweet and savory sauce is made with soy sauce, minced garlic, honey, grated gingerroot, and rice wine vinegar. Be sure to use low-sodium soy sauce to control the level of sodium if needed.
- Oil: It is important to use cooking oil with a high smoke point like sesame oil, coconut oil, or canola oil. Be sure to use LIGHT sesame oil instead of dark sesame oil for this stir-fry. Also, be sure your sesame oil does not smell rancid before using, and store sesame oil in the refrigerator to keep fresh.
- To keep this Stir-Fry Gluten-Free, use Tamari in place of soy sauce or your favorite gluten-free brand of soy sauce.
- For a Paleo-friendly recipe, use maple syrup in place of honey. You can also opt to omit the sweetener from the recipe entirely to keep the carb count even lower.
- Swap out the Bok Choy: Feel free to use additional carrots, asparagus, broccoli, and/or mushrooms in place of the bok choy.
How to Make Chicken and Bok Choy Stir Fry
- Because this stir-fry comes together so quickly, it is best to prepare the sauce before beginning to saute the chicken and vegetables. To do so, mix together honey, garlic, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar together in a small bowl and set aside to add to the stir-fry later.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil has heated, add in the cubed chicken and saute over medium-high heat until just browned.
- Once the chicken is browned, add in the bok choy, carrots, and green onions and saute until crisp-tender.
- Pour the reserved sauce into the pan and stir to coat. Let everything simmer for 1-2 minutes just to heat through and for the flavors to incorporate.
This Chicken Bok Choy Stir-Fry is a hearty, healthy meal that can stand alone and makes a great low-carb meal, or can be stretched to feed a few more mouths by serving with a side of Instant Pot Brown Rice, Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, or cauliflower rice if desired.
I also recommend topping this stir fry with toasted sesame seeds for a nice contrast in texture.
More Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes
- Hunan Chicken
- Shrimp Stir-Fry
- Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Homemade Orange Chicken
- Chicken and Mushroom Stir-Fry
This Chicken and Bok Choy Stir-Fry is a great way to use bok choy to create a fast 15-minute dinner! If you gave this recipe a try, I would love for you to leave a comment below!
Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or minced finely
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
For the Stir Fry
- 1 teaspoon light sesame oil see notes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 head of bok choy washed and cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 large carrots peeled in strips or ½ cup matchstick carrots
- 5-6 green onions diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro if desired
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the honey, ginger, garlic, vinegar, and soy sauce together until well combined. Set aside to add to stir-fry later.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add in chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes, until golden on all sides. Add in bok choy, carrots, and green onions. Stir continuously for 3 minutes to evenly cook the vegetables until crisp-tender. After 3 minutes, add in the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes to coat the chicken and vegetables with the sauce and heat it through.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro and toasted sesame seeds if desired.