Who doesn’t love a good crock-pot recipe?
Especially in the hot summer when you just have to set it, forget it and keep the heat out of the kitchen!
What about tacos? Yep, another favorite of the masses.
Throw the two together and you have a match sure to please everyone and my recipe for Pork Carnitas. On top of that, if you stay tuned after the recipe, I will give you a huge bonus recipe on what to do with your leftovers.
You better pin this recipe, share on your Facebook page, book-mark it, print it or whatever you need to do to keep it at your disposable. It will be a new go-to in your meal rotations. It is so easy, so delcious, verstatile for allergies, makes a ton, and is sure to be a family favorite. Win-win!! And win some more 🙂
And if a juicy Pork Carnita was not enough, this recipe is made complete with a fresh Mexican Slaw. It is creamy, cool, spicy, chewy, tender and crunchy all in a perfect hand held meal. So amazing!!
So here you go!
Follow these few simple steps and have dinner working in a matter of minutes.
Perfect for you to make it and then go enjoy the pool or the lake….or I guess maybe work!!
No matter what your day holds, you will have a scrumptious dinner waiting for you when your feet land home.
- 2 ½ lb pork loin roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 12 fluid oz beer, (or chicken stock)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 whole grain or gluten free tortillas
- Heat the oil in a large stock-pot over high heat. Sear the pork roast for 1-2 minutes per side. (Skip this step if you are really in a time crunch.)
- Place the pork into a crock pot. Combine the beer (or stock), orange juice, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, chili and cayenne together and pour over the meat. Set the crock pot to low for 10-12 hours or on high 5-7 hour. Shred the meat with two forks and mix into the juices that were rendered while cooking.
- To make the Mexican Slaw: Stir together sour cream and Greek yogurt with juice of 1 lime, a handful of chopped cilantro, 1 tsp cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cabbage. (If you like creamier toppings for your tacos, use more sour cream and yogurt).
- I like to make the slaw after placing the meat into the crock-pot to give the slaw time to develop flavors. But it can be made last minute.
- Serve the meat on a tortilla topped with the slaw.
BONUS RECIPE (Use up those leftovers to create a whole new meal!!)
As you may know, I hate to waste food. I am a huge lover of leftovers, but I especially love leftovers that I can morph into completely different meals. These pork carnitas are the perfect example of how I (and now YOU) can easily have 2 meals for the price of one.
So here is the deal:
I threw the leftover shredded pork into the crock-pot with another can of beer, 1 jar of roasted garlic salsa (use your favorite), 2 cans rinsed black beans (or any beans you like), 2 tsp cumin, 1-2 tsp fresh garlic, depending on the salsa you used, 1 cup water, and 1 cup frozen corn if desired. I let that cook on low for 4-6 hours. For the last 30 minutes of cooking, I stirred in 4 oz cream cheese. This is unnecessary, but adds a bit of decadence and cools the dish down. Since my salsa was extremely spicy, I knew my kids would be happier.
I then served that over steam rice and topped with cilantro.
*Because of the number of beans I added and the fact I served this over rice, this meal stretched for lunches during the week as for me. Which was just fabulous to not have to think twice about lunch. There is no need to serve this morphed meal with rice though, it will work as a stew.
*Feel free to substitute chicken stock for the beer. Just use what you have on hand!!