Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw: Sweet and spicy shredded pork makes the perfect base for tacos. Finished with a fresh Mexican Slaw. Instant Pot Directions as well.
Who doesn’t love a good crock-pot recipe?
Especially in the hot summer when you just have to set it, forget it and keep the heat out of the kitchen!
What about tacos? Yep, another favorite of the masses.
What could be easier, than a set it and forget it slow cooker recipe that turns out this flavorful? NOT MUCH in my book. The beer and the orange juice work together with the spices to add such great flavor to the meat. And while I love to serve it on tacos with fresh slaw, it is great as is for tacos, for sandwiches, on pizza, for burrito bowls–you name it.
You better pin this recipe, share on your Facebook page, book-mark it, print it or whatever you need to do to keep it at your disposable. It will be a new go-to in your meal rotations. It is so easy, so delicious, versatile for allergies, makes a ton, and is sure to be a family favorite. Win-win!! And win some more 🙂 And if Carnitas aren’t your flavor profile, give these Easy Crock Pot Cuban Pork Tacos a try from my friend over at Cotter Crunch.
And if a juicy Pork Carnita was not enough, this recipe is made complete with a fresh Mexican Slaw. It is creamy, cool, spicy, chewy, tender and crunchy all in a perfect hand-held meal. So amazing!!
Follow these few simple steps and have dinner working in a matter of minutes. And then no matter what your day holds, you will have a scrumptious dinner waiting for you when your feet land home.
- 2 ½ lb pork loin roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 12 fluid oz beer, (or chicken stock)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 whole grain or gluten free tortillas
- Heat the oil in a large stock-pot over high heat. Sear the pork roast for 1-2 minutes per side. (Skip this step if you are really in a time crunch.)
- Place the pork into a crock pot. Combine the beer (or stock), orange juice, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, chili and cayenne together and pour over the meat. Set the crock pot to low for 10-12 hours or on high 5-7 hour. Shred the meat with two forks and mix into the juices that were rendered while cooking.
- To make the Mexican Slaw: Stir together sour cream and Greek yogurt with juice of 1 lime, a handful of chopped cilantro, 1 tsp cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cabbage. (If you like creamier toppings for your tacos, use more sour cream and yogurt).
- I like to make the slaw after placing the meat into the crock-pot to give the slaw time to develop flavors. But it can be made last minute.
- Serve the meat on a tortilla topped with the slaw.
*Feel free to substitute chicken stock for the beer to keep this gluten-free.
To Make in Instant Pot: Set to meat function, sealed, and time for 45 minutes (high pressure). This will ensure tender meat. It can be done in 30 minutes, but just not as tender.
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.