This is the easiest recipe for Chile Verde! Pork is simmered until tender in a salsa verde sauce in the crock-pot. This Salsa Verde Pork is perfect to serve with rice, as a filling for tacos, or to eat alone as a high protein, low-carb dinner.
I adore Mexican Pork recipes.
I find that pork is the perfect canvas to absorb Mexican flavors and pork is very authentic in Mexican recipes.
One of my favorite Mexican Pork dishes is Chile Verde.
Easy Slow Cooker Chile Verde
Authentic Chile Verde is made with chunks of pork shoulder that have been braised low and slow on the stove in a delicious homemade salsa verde.
The pork becomes tender and incredibly flavorful thanks to the roasted chiles, tomatillos, and cilantro.
My version of Chile Verde takes a few short-cuts BUT is just as flavorful and delicious as an authentic recipe for pork verde.
Short-Cut Chile Verde
- Use full cut of pork instead of cubing raw pork loin.
- Pork shoulder or pork loin both work for this chile verde recipe.
- Use the crockpot to cook Chile Verde, for a hands off cooking method.
- Use your favorite jarred Salsa Verde in place of homemade salsa verde if desired.
- Use canned roasted green chiles, rather than roasting yourself.
With these short-cuts, only prep time is cut down, NOT flavor, making this Easy Slow Cooker Chile Verde an easy family dinner that everyone will love!
How to make Chile Verde
Step One: Sear Pork
- Season pork loin generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in oil and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add in pork and sear for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Once pork is seared, remove from pan and place in slow cooker.
- Reduce heat and add in onions and garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes.
Step Two: Slow Cook Chile Verde
- Place stock, beer, salsa verde, salt, cumin, oregano and green chilies in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
Step Three: Shred Pork Verde
- Remove pork loin from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks.
- Alternatively, you can shred in slow cooker if able, I just find it easier to handle on a cutting board.
- Return pork back to crockpot and mix with verde sauce.
- Serve Pork Verde.
How to Serve Chile Verde
- Serve with side of Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Serve with a side of Mexican Corn Salad.
- Serve as a base for tacos.
- Serve on tortilla chips and top with shredded cheese, for delicious pork nachos.
- Serve in burrito bowls.
- Even thought this recipe is not technically a Chili, but a Chile Verde, I love to add in white beans and serve it like a chili.
A Few Notes on Easy Pork Chile Verde Recipe
- I chose to use a lean pork loin roast, but a small pork shoulder works. You will just need to increase time in slow cooker by 2 hours.
- I like to use a mild light beer, such as Corona or Bud Light, but feel free to use additional chicken stock in place of beer if desired. Be sure to use chicken stock if you need this Chile Verde to be gluten-free.
- Refrigerate Chile Verde for 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Feel free to use 1 inch cubes of pork loin or pork shoulder. This takes an extra step, but creates more authentic Chile Verde.
More Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Chicken Skillet
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Taco Salad
- 3 Ingredient Taco Meat
Easy Chile Verde Recipe
Slow Cooker Chile Verde
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pound pork loin
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup green salsa (or tomatillo salsa)
- 8 ounces light beer or additional chicken stock to keep gluten free
- 6 ounce can green chiles
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Season pork loin with salt and pepper. Add in pork and sear on all sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove seared pork from dutch oven and place in slow cooker.
- Turn heat from high to low and add in onions and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add mixture to slow cooker.
- Place stock, beer, salsa verde, salt, cumin, oregano and green chilies in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- At the end of cooking time, remove pork loin and shred. Return to slow cooker and heat through.
- Serve with desired toppings, such as cilantro, chips, cheese, sour cream, etc. Or use this shredded salsa verde pork to serve with rice, on tacos or nachos.
- To keep this Chili Verde gluten free, use additional chicken stock in place of the beer.
- Feel free to use 1 inch cubes of pork loin or pork shoulder. This takes an extra step, but creates more authentic Chili Verde.