Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili: A hearty and filling vegan chili that packs a large dose of flavor and super foods.
What a mouthful to say. And trust me it is one mouthful you want to eat!!
This chili may sound complex, and while the flavors lend themselves to a little party in your mouth, it comes together in 30 minutes!
Yep, you read that right a chili that comes together in 30 minutes.
It is the remedy for a blustery day. It is the remedy for a long day. It is the remedy for a bad day.
Not to mention, it is the perfect solution to saving a few dollars on groceries and one of my favorite Meatless Monday recipes.
AND it delivers a large dose of fiber and protein.
Too bad it doesn’t solve the issue of world peace.
Sigh. I can’t win them all.
But I will be honest, it gives me peace of mind–a delicious dinner that fills the family up and leaves smiles on their faces that is ready in 30 minutes with little effort on my part and is healthy!!! Not too bad in my book!
So let’s get to business.
Steps/Substitutions for Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- Chop 1 onion–don’t want to tear up? Just use 1 tablespoon of onion powder, no big deal.
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic–don’t want to do that either? Use 1 tablespoon minced garlic in a jar or 1 /2 tablespoon garlic powder–keeping it easy!
- Peel and chop 2 small or 1 large sweet potato into 1 inch chunks.
- Drain and rinse 2 cans of black beans.
- Open up 215 oz cans of diced tomatoes–blend them up if you hate the texture of tomato chunks (like my crazy son!)
- Measure 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock, homemade or store bought.
- Measure 1 cup quinoa.
- Pour everything into a big stock pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of cumin and chili powder and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes, until sweet potato is tender (hence the small cubes).
- Really make this over the top by topping with diced avocado, shredded cheese, corn chips, sour cream, and chopped cilantro.
Side Note: Corn Chips (AKA: FRITOS® ) only have 3 ingredients. So yep, limit yourself to one serving and you are still keeping this meal gluten-free, vegan, healthy and REAL!!
My kids begged to take this chili to school the next day. I know they love it, but I think it was the chips that made them really beg for it!
Actual Recipe for Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 2 (15oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1½ tablespoon Chili Seasoning MixToppings: (optional) grated cheese, avocado, plain yogurt, sour cream, corn chips, cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients into a large stock pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until sweet potato is tender.
- Top with any desired toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Mix all ingredients together in slow cooker and set for 8 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
This technically can serve 8, but I love it so much, I don’t practice much portion control when eating it–so I stated it only serves 6.