Slow Cooker Pulled Pork: Tangy, sweet, and slightly spicy pork is slowly cooked in a homemade barbeque sauce that easy and always a crowd pleaser. Topped with optional homemade coleslaw.
I live in the slow y’all–that is why I said, y’all, in case you were wondering!
And in the south, particularly the Carolinas were I currently reside, BBQ essential to life and always causes a bit of controvery over who does it better.
Personally, I am a HUGE fan of anything smoked. Um yum. But I don’t have a smoker (yet–maybe one day) So instead when I am at home I opt, for low and slow and hands-off–AKA my slow cooker. Throw in a homemade BBQ sauce that is not ladened with high fructose corn syrup, but is still sweet and spicy, well I am in HEAVEN.
This baby is the ultimate go-to. It is super easy, inexpensive, and a crowd pleaser–who doesn’t like BBQ?!! Especially good with grilled corn and baked beans and you have a meal that anyone will devour! And if you don’t like pork, it works with chicken. Throw it in to the crock-pot and let the flavors develop while you take a nap….wouldn’t that be nice!
To me it is genius to serve this pork topped high with creamy coleslaw. But if you don’t like coleslaw on your sandwich, serve it on the side. If you have never tried the combo, I promise you it takes a great sandwich and makes it out of this world!!!
If you are lucky enough not to be feeding an army and have leftovers, top baked potatoes with the leftover meat or make a Grilled BBQ Pizza.
I am telling you this is a great dinner to have going in the summer as well when you want to spend the whole day at the pool and come home famished. Or when you have slaved away at work all day and don’t want to turn the oven on or even think about dinner–it is done for you!! Or even for a party! Such a crowd pleaser!
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin, trimmed of fat
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 cup apple juice (or chicken stock or beer)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey or brown sugar
- 1 8 z can tomato sauce
- Place onion in crock pot and lay pork on top of onion. Combine the dry spices and cover pork with the mixture. Combine the juice, vinegar, honey, and tomato sauce (and feel free to use less sugar). Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred with 2 forks and stir the meat into the juices. Serve.
- Instant Pot Directions: Place all ingredients in instant pot along with an additional ½ cup apple juice and turn to high pressure for 1 hour--or meat function for 1 hour.
And here is hands down the BEST creamy coleslaw I have EVER had (and my husband agrees who frequents BBQ places.)
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1-2 large carrots
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup Hellman's Mayo
- 1 tsp vinegar (I use apple cider to compliment pork)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Using a food processor, shred the cabbage, carrot and onion. Toss together. (Or you can thinly slice the cabbage and finely dice the onion and shred the carrot if you don't have a food processor.) Mix together remaining ingredients and stir into cabbage mixture.
- Best after refrigerating for 1 hours.
Now invite some friends over and enjoy.
Sunday Supper Easy BBQ Recipes
Best Burgers and Sandwiches
- Barbecue Rib Burgers with Low Carb Sauce by My Life Cookbook
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken Burgers by Simple and Savory
- Guava-Ale BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich by Gourmet Everyday
- Turkapple Burgers with Yumback Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Grill Master Mains
- Grilled Red Snapper with Cilantro and Onion Stuffing by Food Lust People Love
- Honey Glazed Chicken Kabobs by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Homemade Coleslaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Spicy Grilled Leg of Lamb by Sunday Supper Movement
Mop Worthy Sauces
- Blueberry Sriracha Barbecue Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade “End of Season” Ketchup by What Smells So Good?
Searing Starters and Sides
- Campfire Corn and Tomatoes by Cricket’s Confections
- Grilled Lime Beer Ritas with Smoky Lime Salt by Our Good Life
- Honey Chipotle BBQ Wings by Soulfully Made
- Pork Satay with Peanut Sauce by Asian In America
- All-American Pie Shooter Trio by The Crumby Cupcake
- Flourless Fudge Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone by Caroline’s Cooking
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mini No Bake Coconut Cheescakes by Jonesin’ For Taste
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.