Salad Kabobs: Vegetables are skewered together along with lean protein, to create a salad on a stick. This kid friendly salad recipe entices kids of all ages to eat their veggies.
This post has been sponsored by Produce for Kids, but all opinions and recipe remain my own.
I am always looking for ways to get kids to eat more fruits and veggies.
Whether I make Bean Burritos with Hidden Veggies or let my kids pick out a new vegetable at the grocery store, I am always looking for ways to get my kids excited about produce.
While packing lunches the other day, I decided to put Salad on a Stick. Genius, if I do say so myself–kids always enjoy eating more when things are on a stick.
You can make any type of salad on a stick you would like based on whatever preference your child (or you) has.
How to Make Salad on a Stick
Step One: Choose your Ingredients
For my Kid-Friendly Salad Kabobs, I chose romaine lettuce with sweet mini peppers, seedless cucumbers, and grape tomatoes. I also added some Italian Chicken Sausage to give this salad on a stick some protein.
But let your imagination, or your picky kids palates guide you.
Step Two: Skewer your Salad
- Dice up the vegetables and proteins into 1 inch chunks.
- On mini wooden skewers, alternate lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and sausage on each skewer.
Step Three: Prepare your Salad Dressing
Just like with any good salad, you need a dressing! And of course–kids LOVE to dip.
Whether Homemade Ranch Dressing or Mini Lighthouse Ranch Dip, the ranch seals the deal knowing your kids will enjoy salad for lunch.
Step Four: Pack Salad Kabobs for a Healthy School Lunch
Place your salad kabobs in a lunch container. And serve with Litehouse Ranch Dressing Cup, Wholly Guacamole Chips and Dip, Sun World grapes for a balanced lunch your kids will be begging for on repeat.
More Combinations for Salads on a Stick
- Iceberg Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, Cooked Bacon
- Iceberg Lettuce, Apples, Celery, and Chunks of Cheese
- Spinach Leaves, Apples, Pears, Chunks of Cheddar Cheese
- Romaine Lettuce, Buffalo Chicken, Celery, Carrots
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad from Eat at Our Table
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Caribbean Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
Salad Kabob Recipe
- 1 head romaine lettuce hearts
- 2 sweet peppers
- 1 seedless cucumber
- 2-4 links Chicken Sausage fully cooked
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Cut romaine lettuce into 1 inch chunks.
- Cut sweet peppers and cucumber into 1 inch chunks.
- Cut sausage (or any meat) into 1 inch slices.
- Skewer salad ingredients alternating in order on sticks.
- Serve with ranch dressing.
- Serve with your child's favorite dressing.
- Make with or without meat.
- Use leftover grilled chicken, ham, or turkey, in place of sausage.