If your kids come home from school and are famished, you need to bookmark this list of easy, healthy snacks that are perfect for after school. These wholesome treats are snacks that kids actually WANT to eat, yet are healthy enough they are parent approved.
“What’s for snack? I’m hungry!!”
This is typically the first statement out of my children’s mouths as they rush into my arms after school. Well, at least they are hugging me when they say it, right?!
But really, come on guys, I know you are hungry, and I promise to feed you a snack but can we at least say “Hi” to each other? I will wait to question you on the details of your day until you are at least a few bites into your snack, I just want a genuine smile and if it is truly my lucky day an “I missed you Mommy.”
Guess what? It isn’t going to happen. I have come to that realization. I am blessed with children who have huge hearts who love to snuggle me, hug me, and share with me. But when they get home from school it is their bellies that begin growling at me through their words!
I have learned to be prepared with an arsenal of healthy snacks ready and waiting for them to welcome them home from the day, I also aimed with conversation topics–so I can actually find out about their school day too!
Healthy After School Snacks
My number one piece of advice when selecting a snack, is to try to keep it balanced. Pair a whole grain carb with protein and healthy fat.
But snack time is also an opportunity to reach dietary goals for the day.
Need a dose of dairy? Try yogurt topped with fresh fruit or nut butter. Or maybe sliced cheese with fresh fruit.
Haven’t had a treat in awhile? Surprise your children with some freshly baked cookies.
Don’t think of snacks as just fillers, think of it as an opportunity to nourish your growing child. After all, most children eat better at snack time than at meal time.
Smoothies are a huge favorite at this house. I can stuff them full of nutrients, yet make them taste like a decadent dessert.
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Cherry Pie Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Dairy Free Berry Smoothie
- Strawberry Smoothie
- Healthy Homemade Orange Julius
Muffins are not only a great choice for breakfast or packed into lunch, but also make a wholesome after school treat, especially when paired with a glass of milk and some fruit.
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
- Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Oatmeal Muffins
- Gluten Free No Bake Granola Bars
- No Bake Apple Pie Granola Bars
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bars
- Homemade Larabars
- Gluten-Free Trail Mix Bars
Nothing makes my kids happier than a dessert after school. But these are not laden in processed sugars, these desserts are made with healthier swaps and
- DIY Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Sushi
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Healthy Banana Split Sundae
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Blueberry Chia Pudding
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- No Bake Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Energy Balls
More Fun After School Snacks
In case your child is not in the mood for a bar, muffin, or smoothie, here are some more great options that are proven to be great choices for kids.
- Whole grain crackers with cheese slices
- Hummus with vegetable slices
- A sliced apple with 1 tablespoon nut butter or Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip or Caramel Apple Dip
- Dried Fruit with 1 tablespoon nuts
- Trail Mix: Whole grain cereal with raisins and nuts
- Guacamole/Salsa with serving of whole grain crackers or simple corn tortilla chips (limit to 1 serving of chips)
- Yogurt with fresh fruit and granola
- Nitrate-free lunch meat rolled up with cheese and lettuce
- 100% Whole Wheat toast with nut spread and raisins
- Blueberry chia seed pudding
- DIY Butterfly Snack Bags