Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is a flavorful, simple recipe for rice made with fresh limes and cilantro.
If you love Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice, you will love this faster, easier version made in the Instant Pot. It is the perfect base for Burrito Bowls and of course a delicious side dish for Instant Pot Pork Tacos or Beef Tacos.
One of my favorite things to make in the Instant Pot is rice. Not only is Instant Pot Rice extremely easy to make, but the rice always turns out fluffy, chewy, nutty--everything good rice should be.
I love to jazz up plain rice to make it something special, as I do for Instant Pot Spanish Rice. But MY FAVORITE recipe for rice is Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice.
It is full of fresh cilantro and bright lime flavor--just like Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice. It is absolutely delicious and could not be easier to make when using the Instant Pot.
- Rice: Use brown long-grain rice or white long-grain rice for this recipe. The recipe card will walk you through the different cook times for both varieties of rice.
- Liquid: I have used water, vegetable broth, chicken stock, and even pineapple juice for this Cilantro Lime Rice. All work great. For an authentic tasting copycat version, I recommend using vegetable broth or water for the best results.
- Limes: Fresh limes, both the zest and the juice, are a must for the best flavor.
- Cilantro: Add chopped cilantro to the rice for a pop of flavor and color. I feel it is important to note that you can prepare this without the cilantro--for delicious lime-infused rice.
How To Make Rice in Instant Pot
- Place the rice into a colander and rinse until the water runs clear. This step is CRUCIAL to fluffy Instant Pot Rice that does not stick to the inner pan.
- Pour in the broth or water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Stir in the salt and lime zest.
- Add in rinsed, damp rice, and gently push down the rice with a spoon. DO NOT STIR!
- Place lid on the pressure cooker and be sure to point the valve to the sealed position.
- For brown rice cook for 22 minutes on high pressure. For white rice cook for 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally the entire way. If you do a quick release of pressure, the rice will be gummy and starchy.
- Remove the lid from Instant Pot and add in fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Fluff rice with a fork, as you incorporate flavors into cooked rice. Fluffing the rice with a fork versus stirring the rice keeps the rice from breaking down and getting mushy.
You can store leftover Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the rice for up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
Ways to Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice
- As a base for Burrito Bowls.
- As a side dish for Tacos, Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, Instant Pot Carnitas, or Chicken Enchiladas.
- Wrap ¼ cup of this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice along with Copycat Chipotle Sofritas and mashed avocado in a store-bought or homemade tortilla for a delicious vegetarian burrito.
- Serve with Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa to soak up all the delicious cooking liquid.
- As a base for Instant Pot Mongolian Beef or Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken, for a bold, fresh contrast to the Chinese-American flavor of these recipes.
If you enjoyed this copycat recipe of Cilantro Lime Rice, please take the time to leave a comment or a review.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups long-grain rice brown or white
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Rinse and drain the rice well.
- Stir together the broth, lime zest and salt in the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add in the wet, rinsed rice and gently push rice down into stock to submerge. DO NOT STIR RICE.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and be sure the vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- For Brown Rice, cook on high pressure for 22 minutes. For White Rice, cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure has released fully, open the instant pot and add in the chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice. Fluff with a fork to incorporate.
This post was orginally published in 2018, but has been updated with new photos.