Instant Pot Risotto is the BEST method for making risotto. The instant pot makes creamy, cheesy, perfectly cooked risotto every single time.
Instant Pot Risotto
I have always shied away from making Risotto.
Not because I don’t love to cook and love to try new things, but I have watched enough cooking challenges to see that Risotto is a dish that sends A LOT of contestants home.
It takes time, attention to detail and patience, and well, I don’t have time to for risotto on busy nights. Really on any nights.
But with Instant Pot Risotto is possible on the busiest of nights and tastes just as good as traditional risotto. The process to perfect risotto is not only easy, risotto is prepared in under 30 minutes.
And Instant Pot Risotto is PERFECT. It is creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor from the fresh thyme and dry wine. Risotto is perfect for a quick side dish, light meal and makes a great gluten-free recipe to entertain with.
Wine, Parmesan, and rice make the perfect combination. This risotto really is a knock out, impressive dish.
Key Ingredients for Risotto
Because there are so few ingredients in Risotto, it is so crucial to select the best ingredients.
- Arborio Rice–-For risotto, there is NO substitute for rice.
- Chicken Stock–I use my homemade stock, but good quality stock can be substituted, but vegetable stock may be used as well.
- Dry White Wine–Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, or Pinot Grigio are great choices. Be sure it is a wine worth drinking–this is not a time to use a cooking wine.
- Parmesan Cheese–I recommend freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano.
- Fresh Thyme–Fresh thyme leaves are best, but if you don’t have substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves.
How To Make Instant Pot Risotto
Step One: Saute Onions and Garlic
- Turn instant pot to saute and allow to heat.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Add in the onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and thyme leaves and saute 1 minute longer.
Step Two: Toast Rice
- Add in the rice to the pressure cooker.
- Toss the rice with the butter and onions, to coat evenly.
- Toast the rice for about 2 minutes.
Step Three: Deglaze with Wine
- Add the dry white wine to the pressure cooker.
- Let simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the saute function.
Step Four: Pressure Cook Risotto
- Add in WARM chicken or vegetable stock and salt.
- Place lid on pressure cooker.
- Set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 5 minutes.
Step Five: Add Parmesan Cheese
- Stir in the Parmesan Cheese into the warm risotto.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lemon if desired.
Tips for Easy Risotto
- Be sure to use arborio rice for risotto. It is crucial for a creamy, perfectly cooked risotto.
- It is really important to add warm chicken stock to the instant pot as this will affect the way the rice absorbs the liquid and cooks.
- Select a dry white wine that is suitable for drinking, such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. Wine adds a tremendous amount of authentic flavor to risotto, but if looking to omit alcohol, use additional chicken stock.
- If looking for Vegetarian Risotto, use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock.
- Fresh thyme is best, but dried thyme can be used in a pinch.
- Feel free to use shallots in place of garlic and onions.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan Cheese for the for best flavor and for the best risotto.
More Instant Pot Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot Crispy Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Risotto
- Turn pressure cooker to saute and allow to heat.
- Add the butter and melt. Add in the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and thyme leaves and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add in the rice and toss the rice with the butter and onions to coat. Toast the rice for about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry white wine to the pressure cooker and let simmer for about 2 minutes, while scraping off any browned bits off the bottom of the inner pot.
- Turn off the saute function and add in WARM chicken or vegetable broth and salt.
- Place lid on the pressure cooker. Set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for at least 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan Cheese and serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Fresh thyme is best for Instant Pot Risotto, but if you don't have it, use 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- For dry white wine, I suggest a Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Arborio rice is a MUST for pressure cooker risotto.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is much better than pre-grated or jarred Parmesan.