Sweet Potato Spinach Egg Bowl: A tenderly baked sweet potato, filled with a tomato, feta, and spinach baked egg.
Sweet Potato Spinach Egg Boat
Sweet Potato Spinach Egg Boat: That is a mouthful to say! But it is one mouthful you will be happy to be noshing on, morning, noon, or night!
I had the genius idea to fill one of my all time favorite foods, a sweet potato, with my favorite omelet combination–spinach, feta, and tomato.
And let me tell you-It ROCKED my world. And it could not be easier to make!
The sweet and creaminess of the baked sweet potato was a perfect counter point to the baked egg that was filled with sharp feta and tangy tomatoes.
And easy–yes, indeedy!!
- Start with a pre-baked potato (throw some in the oven the night before while you are making dinner and let them cool and refrigerate until ready to use) I would recommend using a cooled pre-baked potato in this recipe, so that you can easily scoop out a well in the center of the potato, just as if you were making a twice baked potato. But if you are making the day of, just let the potatoes cool slightly before trying to scoop out center.
- Cut the potato in half and scoop out the middle portion of the potato–leaving a bit of flesh intact around the edges and bottom of potato.
- Mix one egg with a handful of diced spinach, a few pieces of freshly chopped tomatoes, and a tablespoon of feta. Scramble well together.
- Carefully pour egg mixture into well of potato, my potato was HUGE, so one egg fit perfectly inside the well–you may need to use both halves of the potato for one egg.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until egg is set. You can also broil, but will need to watch carefully after 5 minutes.
A Few More Tips:
- These little boats can be customized ANYWAY you want! You can use white potatoes as well. And let the egg filling be anything you like in omelets–ham and cheese, sausage and peppers, mushrooms and onions….the list goes on and on. What a great way to feed a bunch of palates–every family member’s Potato Egg Boat can be customized just the way they want it.
- DON’T Throw away the filling of the potatoes!! The baked sweet potato is a great addition to oatmeal with a bit of maple syrup and walnuts or to pancake batter. The white potato filling is perfect for making mashed potatoes or potato pancakes.
Now grab a fork and dig into a gluten-free, protein-filled boat of deliciousness!