Healthy Banana Split Sundae: Fresh bananas, pineapple and strawberries are topped with yogurt, chocolate and chopped nuts for the healthiest Banana Split Sundae you have ever had–a delicious snack or healthy breakfast guaranteed to make you lick your lips!
When the afternoon hits, I need a snack. My kids need a snack too–like the moment they walk drop their book bags as they walk in the door from school.
Most days, I have no time to pull together anything fancy–and it may just be a piece of fruit, some pretzels, or a Blueberry Muffin pulled from the freezer.
But still snack time remains a special time for us. It is a time for them to open up about their days and to fuel up their brains as they gear up for homework.
I have found that I can get the kids to open up a bit more about their days if we sit down together over a “special” snack. Special does not mean complicated or unhealthy. Take my Banana Sushi–a minute decadent, yet healthy treat. I also like to make easy yogurt sundaes.
Healthy Banana Split
Remember a good old-fashioned banana split? Bananas and ice cream topped with the iconic strawberry, pineapple, and chocolate flavors. And then slathered in whipped cream and sprinkled with nuts. Decadent and delicious, but not exactly healthy in any shape or form! I am taking those classic flavors and making a fresh fruit sundae.
How to Make a Healthy Banana Split
There is really no recipe for this banana split yogurt sundae. It is just a matter of assembly.
- Slice open a ripe banana lengthwise and lay in long sundae dish or even slice a banana in a bowl.
- Top with plain Greek yogurt. I like to use a mini cookie scoop to scoop out my yogurt, to make it look like ice cream scoops. Totally unnecessary, but fun!
- Top the yogurt and banana with fresh diced strawberries, pineapple tidbits, chocolate chips and chopped nuts, if desired.
A few notes on Breakfast Banana Splits
- Feel free to omit the nuts for a nut-free Banana Split Parfait.
- If you don’t have chocolate chips, you can use chocolate syrup or shaved chocolate as well for this Banana Breakfast Parfait.
- This Banana Yogurt Sundae is a perfect snack or an easy healthy breakfast recipe.
- I love to use my homemade Instant Pot yogurt in this banana yogurt bowl, but you can of course you store bought. You really don’t need sweetened yogurt, as the fruit will sweeten this yogurt parfait perfectly (and keep this healthier!)
- Fresh or canned pineapple can be used in this Banana Split Recipe
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes from A Mind “Full” Mom
Banana Yogurt Parfait Recipe
Healthy Banana Split Sundae
A healthy spin on a decadent banana split. This recipe is made with bananas, Greek yogurt, fresh pineapple and strawberries. Perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup pineapple chunks canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt Greek or regular
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips or chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts optional
Slice banana lengthwise and place in bowl. Add strawberries and pineapple. Top with yogurt. Sprinkle/Drizzle with chocolate. Add nuts if using.
And there you have it–a five minute treat that will make you a rock star with your kids! If only this Sundae would get them excited about homework, then we’d really be talking!
Check out more of my healthy after school snack ideas over at Don’t Waste The Crumbs.