This one-pan chicken skillet meal is low-carb, gluten-free, low-fat, and ready in under 20 minutes! Made with tender chicken breasts, crisp-tender green beans, sweet tomatoes, and an easy lemon-garlic pan sauce, Chicken and Green Beans Skillet is a healthy, yet easy meal.
When dinner needs to be fast and flavorful, I love turning to this simple recipe for Chicken and Green Bean Skillet.
Made with tender chicken, crisp-tender green beans, fresh tomatoes, and a lemon garlic sauce, this skillet dinner comes together in one pan in just 20 minutes.
But even though this chicken recipe is simple to make, it does not sacrifice anything in terms of flavor. From the sweet tomatoes to the salty parmesan cheese to the acidic, yet rich, pan sauce, this chicken dinner is downright delicious. It is seriously the perfect meal for any night of the week.
- Chicken: Use either boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders, or thighs.
- Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or even seeded, diced Roma tomatoes will work. If I am making this dish in the winter months, I find grape tomatoes are best, as their flavor is good year-round.
- Green Beans: Fresh green beans are best, but if you don't have fresh green beans, you can substitute thin frozen green beans that have been defrosted. For this recipe, I would not use canned green beans or cut thick frozen beans.
- Lemon Juice: If you don't have fresh lemons, do NOT substitute jarred lemon juice. Instead, add an extra teaspoon of balsamic to round the flavor out.
- Balsamic Vinegar: I don't recommend omitting or substituting the balsamic vinegar with another vinegar. There are only a handful of ingredients and the balsamic really helps to add dimension to this simple dish.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme adds a nice citrus undertone and pairs well with the lemon zest and juice. If you don't have fresh thyme, use 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (not ground thyme) in its place.
- Parmesan Cheese: The parmesan is completely optional, but does add a nice finish to this recipe. Omit for a dairy-free, paleo-friendly, and whole30 approved recipe.
How to Make Chicken and Green Beans Skillet
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on each side.
- Once the chicken has browned, add the minced garlic, green beans, and tomatoes to the skillet and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- To the skillet, add in the broth, lemon zest, thyme, and balsamic vinegar and toss to coat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the green beans are crisp-tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the fresh lemon juice and serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
While this recipe for Chicken and Green Beans can stand on its own as a complete meal, it is also delicious served over brown rice or quinoa or with a baked sweet potato on the side. If you want to keep this meal low-carb, I suggest pairing it with a Copycat Panera Greek Salad or Spinach Bacon Salad.
Option for Soft Green Beans
I love the crisp-tender bite the fresh greens retain when they are simply sauteed in the skillet. However, if you would like your green beans on the softer side, I would recommend blanching or steaming the green beans prior to adding them to the saute pan with the chicken.
- To blanch the green beans, drop them into boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then transfer them to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. After they have cooled, drain and pat dry with a paper towel before adding to the skillet.
- To steam fresh green beans, place the green beans in a large heat-safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and microwave for 3-4 minutes.
More Healthy Skillet Recipes
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this simple one-pan chicken and green beans recipe, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Chicken with Green Beans and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 fresh lemon juice and zest
- Parmesan Cheese optional
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to skillet and brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side.
- Once the chicken has browned, add the minced garlic, green beans, and tomatoes to skillet and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, lemon zest, thyme, and balsamic vinegar. Lower the heat to medium and cover the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the beans are just crisp-tender.
- Turn off the heat and add the juice of the fresh lemon and serve with Parmesan Cheese if desired.
This recipe was originally published in 2016, but was updated in 2021 with new photos and a video.