Are you stuck in a pizza rut? Have you limited yourself to the traditional flavors of marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and veggies? While those are all delicious, this pizza is the answer.
I am introducing you to piling your pizza dough with BBQ meat. And if that wasn’t enough to entice you, I am going to take this pizza completely over the top by throwing it on the grill.
Have you ever grilled a pizza? Well, after this you may never turn your oven on again for pizza.
And as if improving the beloved “Pizza Night” was not enough for you, I am utilizing leftovers to make this meal. Um yes, now you are really hooked. I simply use lefover pork from my Pulled Pork. Chicken works as well, of course.
So start with your favorite pizza dough. Roll it out into a pizza shape. And really, who cares if it is a rectangle, square, circle, oval, or star? I even let my kids go crazy and roll it out themselves. It gets their energy out. And saves me a step in the kitchen!
Once the crust is browned, I remove it from the grill to load it up with all the goodies that make it taste so good: Pulled pork, BBQ sauces, diced red onion, tons of sharp cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro.
I load it up with my BBQ meat, which happens to be leftover from my pulled pork (BBQ chicken can be subbed out easily for this recipe.) And if you don’t have any leftover BBQ chicken/pork, then I suggest one of two things.
- Make a batch. Use for pizza now and sandwiches tomorrow. You won’t regret it!
- Poach one 1lb of chicken until cooked through and toss with your favorite BBQ sauce.
I personally slather the pizza in meat. I do not start with a base of BBQ sauce and then lightly sprinkle with meat. Nope, this is all out! This pizza is covered in meat, making it that much more delcious!
Smoother with cheese, and for my family I added fresh chopped cilantro and pop back the cooking sheet onto the grill and grill until the cheese is melted and gooey. Oh yeah!
Once the cheese is melted, allow to rest (it will be hard to wait!) and slice up. Sit back and fill your belly while your family and friends sing your praises!
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1 lb leftover BBQ meat (chicken or pork)
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2-4 tablespoons diced red onion(optional)
- Pre-heat the grill to medium high.
- Roll out dough to about ¼ inch thick and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Place dough on heated grill and close grill. Grill for about 4 minutes per side until dough gets starts to brown. Flip carefully and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the dough onto a large sheet tray or pizza pan.
- Evenly spread the BBQ meat unto the pizza and then cover with cheese. Top with cilantro and jalapeno slices if desired.
- Place the sheet tray onto your grill and close the grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted and gooey.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.